Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Week of Changes


This past week was a whirlwind. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with Trent in the hospital because I was home packing trying to get everything ready to leave for Utah on Thursday. Trent ended up receiving more blood to try and help his body recover. He also had some difficulty with the infection in his hip. They told us it was staph. It had started to stink and look terrible. But later they told us they thought the stink was necrotic tissue from the cancer being killed. So I guess that was good news. The wound has started tunneling. It was explained that there may be an infection inside that just doesn't have enough room to flush out the wound so it tunnels inside kind of like erosion. So we have started treating the wound with an antibiotic that we soak the gauze in and then pack real tight inside the wound. The last couple of days it has seemed that I can't pack it as far in so I hope that is a good sign too.

Tuesday morning I got a call from my mom who was super worried about putting Trent on a commercial flight home. She had arranged for her cousin Kevin Bloxham to fly us home on his personal plane. Doug helped work out the final details and we switched around the original tickets to get Megan home after Girls Camp. It worked out great. That same morning a small army of Relief Society Sisters came over to help pack and clean. They are absolutely amazing. We really have a great ward and are very sad to leave them.

Wednesday Melinda and Sister Hahne came over to clean carpets with me. I still had a lot to do with packing my bedroom and they were awesome. That night I met with my boss for dinner. I gave him a Book of Mormon and explained that he had done so much for us that the least we could do was share something that we value so greatly. I know he knows I am sincere in my gift and I truly feel indebted to him.

Right after that I went up to Trent's room to find Sparkley our neighbor there visiting. She is so awesome! She treated me to a new do and it made a huge difference for me. I felt guilty taking the time to do that but I also enjoyed the time not thinking about cancer.

When I got home the Elders Quorum and Trent's family already had 90% of the loading finished. Trent's Uncle Joe and Richard came along with his dad, brother Travis, nephew Justin, and BFF Nate. When I drove up I just started to bawl. We are sooooo grateful for all the help that they gave! To drive across country just to work a whole bunch and turn around again was quite a sacrifice. Nate had a bunch of shirts made up for "Team Trent". They are so cool! We are going to make a bunch more so we can have a huge team for Trent.

Thursday I took Travis and Nate and headed up to Trent's room. I was expecting to have to get him all ready to go but when we walked in Trent was already showered and packed up waiting on the sofa! Typical Trent! It was a sweet site to watch him greet his brother and friend and I snapped a couple of pics.
Nate, Travis, and Trent

Sylvia and Becky-awesome nurses!
Becky was Trent's favorite nurse. She was amazing.

We headed off to the airport to wait for the flight. I learned that morning that my dad and brother were going to be on the flight to pick us up. So when Zach got off the plane we were both very surprised! It was a great flight-minus a lot of turbulence and a lot of breathing into the barf bag for me! Someone asked how it was seeing the Wasatch Mountains as we flew over. What? I didn't see that-my head was inbetween my knees! Zach and Dad did great while Trent and I shared the barf bag. Not great. But we are very grateful to Kevin for flying us-he was great!
Kevin (the pilot), Trent, and Zach
Me and Dad-before the turbulence!
Zach and Trent just hanging out.
Oh how nice it was to see Zach step off that plane!

Friday we had some trouble getting his labs done but when we did the were looking better! The tech said that from the numbers it looks like he will be able to stick to the 21 day cycle for chemotherapy which means he should start Wednesday. Friday was also haircut day. I thought it would be harder than it was for me. The thing that bothers me is that the bald head makes it real. Now everybody knows he is a cancer patient. I was surprised how much it affected Trent but he was a great sport.



BALD IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!


Trent's brothers Trevor and Troy, and sister Tracy, and nephew Jaden met us in Brigham to unload the trucks. It was pouring outside but we all had a great time filling up the storage bay. Right when they arrived Trent had a terrible bout with nausea right in front of them which was somewhat sobering for everyone. We are so glad they came. It really means a lot to us and especially Trent to have the support of his family.
Justin, Travis, Tracy, Trent, Doug, Trevor, Jaden, and Troy (in front)
Richard and Joe hamming it up as usual! Those two crack me up!
Only part of "Team Trent". Thanks you guys!

Saturday all my brothers and their wives came over for a good long day of soccer. Nate came down to watch the game with Trent and was really great even when he sat alone while Trent had to lay back down a few times. It takes a lot out of him to be up for too long.

Today Trent attempted church but barely made it through the sacrament. We then had to make our exit with a bawling Jonathan on my hip and a very sick and weak Trent on my arm. We promplty took them both home and put them to bed. I could just feel all the eyes on us though we were not making eye contact. How dramatic. blah.

I finally listened to all of my voicemails and found one from the Huntsman Cancer Institute saying that they are expecting us tomorrow and Trent's case will be discussed at their weekly staff meeting in the morning. We are so excited to be here and to learn what they have in store for us. So keep the prayers coming, tomorrow is a big day!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it here. . . safe and soon to be sound ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holding my breath for tomorrow. Hoping the plan of action is full throttle forward. How great to be settled in Utah for now. How awesome are your parents and both families for all the love and devotion. How I wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Team Trent is the coolest team to be a part of!! And Nathan loved the fact that he got to watch the soccer game with his BFF!! We are super excited by what the Huntsman Cancer center can do! You are in every thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good vibes your way for tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck tomorrow at Huntsman... It is a wonderful place. We will be thinking of you. Cancer be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell Trent bald is sexy. Everyone who's anyone knows that.

    Love you guys... so glad you're back home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly and Trent,
    I just got the news. I am so sorry to hear of the trials you are facing, and am glad that you can be home again close to family. We would love to help out in anyway we can and will be praying for your family! Tell Trent not to worry about the bald thing. Bald is totally "in" here in Utah. :) Love, Destonee

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a big day..... Things are looking good, slowing looking up, we will continue to pray for this, for you and your family. We are glad that you are there in Utah where you need to be. Thank goodness Father was able to send so many wonderful people to help you accomplish this task. To see his hand truly helping us through our harder than hard times is so amazing to behold. Much love to you guys, Eric and Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dangit! I never know what to say except that I just love you guys so much. We've got you in our every prayer. Did I mention EVERY prayer?

    ReplyDelete