Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fast Sunday

I am exhausted. You know that feeling you have when you cry so much that it wears you out but makes you feel so good? That's what today is all about. Our ward fasted for us again today. Trent stayed home from church because he is neutropenic. (That means that he does not have one neutrphil-part of a white blood cell-in his body. He is at absolute zero.) So Megan and I went to church alone. Bishop Hahne bore his testimony to start the meeting and talked of what it has been like seeing the service the whole ward has given to our family over the past month. That started me off bawling. I was waiting for a lull so I could go up but quickly realized I was going to have to jump in line! So I finally stood up-at exactly the same time as Tanya Mathison who was a couple rows behind me. So I turned around and walked back to her and put my arm around her and we walked up together-both bawling like babies. I bore my testimony that I know that the Lord puts people in our lives for a reason. Sometimes we may not know the reason right away, but He is always preparing a way for His children. We have seen that so many times already! I often wonder what this trial would be like if various people were not in our lives, or if they had not done a certain thing. I know the Lord knows me individually and knows my struggles. There have been way too many "coincidences" to deny that. After my testimony I read Trent's testimony that he had written:

My Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I would like to add my testimony that our loving Heavenly Father is accutely aware of personal situations. Through the Atonement of the Savior, Jesus Christ, I have witnessed the miracles associated with the power of prayer, priesthood blessing, having our names placed in the temple, how fasting makes a tangible difference, ward families, a great bishop, Home teachers, Visiting teachers, the awesome Relief Society, good neighbors,most importantly our wonderful families, and surprisingly, even complete strangers.

Despite being in the darkest place imaginable, with a diagnosis like cancer, I express my appreciation to an amazing Heavenly Father for building a network where theis type of trial is met with resolve from good people. I truly know what it means to comfort those who stand in need of comfort, to pick up those who are broken and suffering. I have felt it daily. This life is wonderful and you all have helped me draw closer to my Savior than one could possibly imagine. Thank you for being great. May our Heavenly Father's choicest blessing accompany you every single day. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

The whole meeting was amazing. It was one of those meetings where the spirit is so strong you just don't want it to end. Then in Relief Society Brother Poulsen gave a fabulous lesson on Missionary Work. (Yes-that is correct, Brother Poulsen taught in Relief Society.) It just reiterated to me how important it is every day to live the gospel no matter what is going on in our lives. The opportunities to share the gospel are everywhere.

After church, Brother Mathison and Brother Church brought Trent the sacrament. Bishop Hahne and Brother Bradley (our home teacher) stopped by. We had a nice visit and Brother church shared some of what he went through when he had cancer five years ago. I can't believe how the testimonies of others strengthens my own.

We have had just two short years here in the Yankee Hill Ward but we feel so close to them. I believe that comes through the opportunity to serve and be served. Brother Oxford bore his testimony about being with our families eternally and how that doesn't just mean a mom, a dad, and their kids. We are all working together to be together as children of God. We will greatly miss our wonderful ward family but hope to keep in touch!

5 comments:

  1. I sit in awe of your blessings. I don't know what to say. I only know, I will never leave anyone alone again. If there is need I will be there, and if there isn't, I will be there. I have never seen this....ever. Even as a Relief Society President, we helped where needed, I tried to be in tune, but your experience is so far beyond anything I experienced. You were in the right place. You were placed in Lincoln for so many more reasons than just schooling. You have learned so much as have we all. As stated, I am just in awe. It simply brings me to my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are living in such a wonderful ward with good people to take care of your family. I wish we could help you out physically but we are praying for you here. Your experiences that you share through this trial have strengthened me so much--thank you for sharing so much with us on your blog. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love you all so much. Thanks so much for sharing these experiences. Knowing what is happening has brought us a great deal of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In October 2007 General Conference, Steven E. Snow gave a talk in which he said "As a family we learned, strangely enough, that cancer is a disease of love." I have been BAFFLED by that statement ever since. I GET IT NOW.
    I aspire to be as wonderful as the people in your ward, your neighbors and friends, and even the strangers. And I thank you both for your testimonies, because they strengthen mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the service comment and how it draws us nearer to one another. I just spoke in sacrament meeting two weeks ago, and I chose to speak on Service. One of the most profound lessons I learned during preparation was a statement that said 'how we relate and interact with one another is a measure of our willingness to follow Christ'. It sounds like you are surrounded by people that are trying to be more like Christ and follow in his path of Service.

    ReplyDelete