Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Monday, June 7, 2010

Minor Setback


Last night about 10:30 I checked Trent's temperature. It was about 100.4. We had been told that anything above 100.5 we needed to head to the ER. So I uncovered him and let him sit for about 15 or 20 minutes then took his temp again. 102.3! I quickly called the on call PA and got Trent's bag ready. Of course we were off to the ER. We had to drag poor Megan with us. Trent was feeling fine but just had a fever. We knew he would be admitted for IV antibiotics but were hoping it wouldn't last too long. We waited forever in the ER. We were the only ones there and got right in but it took so long to get him up to a room. He had a chest xray to rule out pneumonia and they saw the biggest cancer nodule on the xray but none of the others. I am not putting a whole lot of stock in that until we see a CT scan next to the original scan.

Poor Megan was soooo cold! Plus since Trent is neutropenic we all had to wear masks so he didn't have too. Finally at 4:00 am they got a room and we got him settled. We were so tired! Megan and I came home so Trent could get some rest. We jumped up first thing---okay not really first thing, more like as soon as we could drag ourselves out of bed, to start packing again. I went up to see Trent in the afternoon and he was not looking so good. They had started him on the antibiotics and also two more units of blood. I had to inform the nurse that he had thrush in his throat and then ask the doctor to treat it. I had waited so long to ask a bunch of questions to the doctor but he kind of brushed me off which completely ticked me off. I am getting more and more anxious to get to the Huntsman. This sounds so dumb I know, but the doctors only want to talk to Trent. He is not always with it enough to give them the right answers and I find myself having to tell them a different story than he does. Of course they look at me like I need to be quiet until Trent confirms that they should be asking me not him. AARRGGHH!

His fever almost seemed like it was breaking and then this evening it spiked again. They think it is an infection in the open incision but can't be sure until the culture is back. So at this point it looks like he might be home on Wednesday but there is a good chance it will be Thursday. Just in time to hop on a plane to Utah. Could it be any more difficult?! Yikes! I didn't really say that because with our track record I am sure we could find a way to make it more difficult. We haven't done so good so far.

Trent is really having a hard time the last few days. This morning the nurse called and asked me if I thought he should be on a mild anti-depressant. Uh...YES! I thought they would never ask! It is such an emotional rollercoaster everyday and lately it seems as though the hills are getting harder and harder to climb. Maybe next week he will start to feel a little better and enjoy a couple of days before round two of chemo starts. He really needs a break.

12 comments:

  1. keep plugging. you can do it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you guys. You do need a break...just a little break. What are the possiblities that you check him right into the Hunstman Center on Thursday? In seems, given the situation, they may want him to come directly there. Get through just this day.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so glad you'll be closer to home soon. Maybe that will do wonders for Trent's state of mind... not to mention yours. Must. Come. Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those doctors need to listen to you! Don't ever feel bad for telling them your version. I would kick Dave's butt if he was like that with a patient's family member. Trent doesn't feel well and when you don't feel great its hard to explain things. It seems like we always have to go through the bad to get to the good. It will come back around. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all such troopers. I pray that Heavenly Father continues to give all of you the strength you need to get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly...Norma up! (as in cowboy up:) You tell them what's up and hopefully the dr.s will start listening to you. How frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. -Our prayers are for you both-- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're in our thoughts and prayers:) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there guys!! Even little Noah wanted to fast for Brent last Sunday (it was pretty tough for him). Keep that chin up Brent, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a better day today and you can catch a break soon. I put your names in the Provo temple this week and will continue to do so. Even though I usually tear up with each of your posts, the bittersweet emotions leave me inspired to be better and they strengthen my testimony. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trent and Holly,
    It is 11:37pm on June 9th 2010, as I type this... across the caldesac are family and friends packing up your U-haul. (and doing it fast I might add) :) I just wanted to take this opportunity to Thank you for being Wonderful FRIENDS and NEIGHBORS and as much as I regret to see your Wonderful family leave the Lincoln area I am also Happy for you and wish you safe travels. Thanks for the time spent together this evening and Trent always know that even if you are alittle under the weather due to medications no matter what...just tell Holly her hair looks FABULOUS!!!
    Stay in Touch, Take Care, and Best Wishes to your Wonderful Family of seven.
    a.k.a. SPARKLEY

    ReplyDelete
  12. We will miss you all as neigbors. You are all in our prayers daily. Keep us posted on Trent's progress. I also want to thank you for being such good neighbors and will miss Mallory coming to our door. I do hope you will be able to make Lincoln home again even if it's not right next door.

    ReplyDelete