Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Mighty Swing of the Pendulum

Yesterday was my birthday, the first one without Trent.  I was pretty nervous that I would be a wreck all day.  I got up and prayed a very fervent prayer to help me be happy, if not for myself, at least for my kids.  By mid morning I had only cried a few times which I thought was pretty good!

I was completely spoiled yesterday.  I had many friends and family trying to make sure I had a good day and they mostly succeeded.  I think it helped that I was kept pretty busy all day too.  I went to get a drink with my mom and Jonathan and afterwards we went to Seagull book where I bought myself a couple of presents. One was a book on Hope that Trent had actually purchased for me for Mother's Day but we ended up giving it to his Mom when she came for his lung surgery.  As I was purchasing that book, the salesgirl recommended another book on grief.  Funny thing, I didn't tell her anything about my situation and I didn't know her.  I took that as I sign that I might need to get the book she recommended, so I did.

In the evening Jarom had another soccer game in Morgan so I packed a picnic lunch and took the three youngest with me.  My birthday dinner consisted of a ham and cheese sandwich, eaten while driving down the freeway at 80 mph trying to get back to a photography class that my mom signed me up for.  After wolfing down my dinner and racing to class, I was informed that it doesn't actually start for three more weeks.  That's convenient. :s

While we were waiting for Megan to come home to have a party, my mood was rapidly declining.  First, Megan should have been home but wasn't and it was getting late.  I looked for my phone to text her but couldn't find it anywhere.  Jarom had taken it and wrapped it up as a present for me...aarrgghh.  So I made him unwrap it and then he felt bad.  Strike one.  Then Megan wasn't answering her phone or responding to texts-something I absolutely hate!  Strike two.  About this time Zach came to me with the wreath I had just finished making (it was supposed to me mind-numbing work to keep me from thinking too much), only when he brought it to me it was in two pieces.  No joke, I had finished it maybe four hours earlier and already he had broken it.  Strike three.  I was mad and I knew I was ruining the evening for everyone but in that moment I couldn't help it.

Right then Greg and Erin showed up and I had to put on my happy face for them.  I am pretty sure they saved the evening.  I was actually able to laugh and joke a little bit while we ate cake and ice cream and opened presents.  Mallory had "stolen" my journal and pasted a bunch of pictures of Trent on one of the pages.  That was her gift to me.  She is pretty sweet.

I talked with Greg and Erin for a bit but could feel myself getting teary.  Night time is hard for me.  After they left I went downstairs and cried for about 1 1/2 hours before I fell asleep.  The ache is so real and the fact that it is not going to change anytime soon is so maddening.  I am putting all my hope in the Second Coming but I also know that is probably some form of denial.  I look at Trent's picture and some part of me still hopes it is all a bad dream and that if I prayed hard enough he would come back.

Today I figured I needed to get myself going so I got up and took Jonathan and our dog, Scout, for a jog.  I was doing fine for most of it but then suddenly found myself sobbing.  Let me tell you, it is not easy to jog, push a stroller, drag (or be dragged by) a dog, and cry all at the same time.  In fact, it is probably dangerous.  

The exercise was great but I still had my morning bawl in the shower and several times since then.  I notified all the credit agencies today of Trent's death and bawled the whole time.  On one of the websites it was explaining how they take care of the notifications and at the bottom it said that after a year the credit report will no longer exist.  Ouch.  That is exactly what I am afraid of!  Someday Trent's paper trail will no longer exist!  That gets me worrying that someday I will forget all the fun things about him, the way he smells, the way he sounds, the way he moves.  Then I start to worry that I will forget how to love him because he is not here for me to see, touch, hear, and talk to.  I know, I am a basket case right now.  But in my defense, I knew this would happen.  I have said all along that after this is over I am going to need a spot on the funny farm.  It has just been so much for so long and there is no end in sight.  It seems that the clock is ticking so slowly.  If only I could make that pendulum swing just a bit faster!  Oh wait, I am probably supposed to be learning patience now.  Sigh...


12 comments:

  1. I love this post. Very well written:) You will never forget!! :) Still thinking about you and praying for you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Holly. Keep fighting. You're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly,

    You will never forget Trent or forget all of the fun things you did, both with ONLY him & with the kids, beleive me. The good times will only get stronger, I have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your humor in the depth of your disparity. I believe you are still in there!! You will never forget, Holly. You will remember everything about him til the day you are with him again. I love the book on hope and thank you for letting Trent give it to me. I'm sorry I took your present. But it has brought me great solice. It truly will lift you. Looks like a little clerk in the store had a nudge to encourage you to buy the other book. Please be careful with your driving and eating sandwiches. Does sound a bit dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you digital scrapbook? I made a great scrapbook that I sell through CottageArts.net that would be fabulous. It will help you create a paper trail for Trent. Let me know and I'll try to get a disc for you (if not I'll get a code from Michelle so that you can download it). Let me know soon because it's probably not going to be on her site much longer. Here's a few links so you can pick which ones you want (you can have them all if you want). http://cottagearts-net.stores.yahoo.net/tr12alpakshr.html
    http://cottagearts-net.stores.yahoo.net/lijo12alpaks.html
    One is more scrapbook-ie and the other is more masculine. And the nice thing about the digital scrapbooking is that you can share those pages on this blog and email them and print them and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dreamed of you and your family last night. Aunt Noreen had another baby and we were all at the blessing. (That was funny in and of itself) I was so glad to be there. I was just talking to you and your kids, then Jonathon came and did something really funny and you just let loose. You laughed so hard, you just enjoyed the moment of watching Jonathon just be silly.That was it, but it seemed to last all night. So I was so glad to read that you laughed a little on your birthday. Anyway, I miss you and your laugh. I just thought I would share my silly little dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could help you through this but I can't. The only thing I can do and say is that I understand. I understand that well meaning people will say words that are meant to support you but you want to scream in their face. I understand wanting to punch Trent in the chest. I understand the anger. I understand the feeling of when is this shit going to be over. I understand "why did it happen this way."

    I can say that it does ease with time. Slowly, reluctantly, time does heal. Time takes it's own sweet time. Irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memories will always be there. Not as strong as time goes on. I don't like the forgetting, but I understand it. This is very personal but you might understand.

    For years when Sunday night/Monday morning (Jeff left at 04:01 AM on that Monday morning) came every week, I would remember the hours I was with Jeff, before and after he went with the angels. It was and is painful--he had a rough time leaving. But when he did go with the angels---I know the house was full he left with a small smile. That was a message to me that he was OK. The point is, reliving that experience for years I felt close to him. That night was the last time I could touch and feel him. So
    I kept going though it. I don't now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, I am probably the friend that you could go out in the middle of Main Street and start screaming, WTH!!!

    Whenever you want we can go for a ride and do some screaming and crying!!!!!

    I believe "our boys" are just around the corner. Watching over us and waiting for us. They better be!!!!!!!

    All my love,

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent I know you understand every bit of this! I hate that you do but I am also grateful. Sometime we need to scream together.

      Delete