Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Apostolic Witness

The last week has been incredibly hard.  I have cried buckets, been mad at the world, and lost myself in misery.  At times I have thought how awful this life is to have to endure it without Trent.  He is so lucky!  He will only miss me for a minute and then I will be there with him, but I have to endure many years of missing him.  I have prayed like never before, looking for peace and comfort.  At times I have felt that peace but somehow I always chase it away.

Last night I was starting into the mad phase again.  My mom and dad talked to me for about an hour trying to help.  I am not sure that any particular thing they said helped but I was trying not to negate everything they were saying.  I was really trying to open my mind and heart to get some peace.  Today is fast Sunday so I opened my fast last night.  I woke up this morning with a smile on my face!  That hasn't happened for a while and I kind of liked it!

I was a little apprehensive about going to church today and being reminded of the services that were held for Trent in those same rooms that I would attend Relief Society and Sacrament meeting.  But it didn't even enter my mind.  Okay, part way through the meeting it did but it wasn't upsetting like I thought it would be.  I was feeling very calm and peaceful.  Even when they talked about how a woman can't raise her children alone and really needs the father to step in and help her.  I suppose I will have to get used to hearing those things and remember that Trent will be near.  He was such a "hands on dad", I know he won't leave his children to grow up alone.

In Sacrament meeting I knew I had to bear my testimony when my heart was thumping out of my chest.  As I got to the pulpit, I rubbed my hands up and down the podium and I remember thinking I did the exact same thing when I gave Trent's eulogy in that very same spot.  I was pretty emotional but was able to bear my testimony of a loving Heavenly Father who provides for and blesses us before we even know we need it.  I know that the miracle we were praying for was withheld for a reason.  I wish it wasn't so, but I know we will be blessed in even more miraculous ways than we could have imagined.  I have to put my faith in the Lord knowing that He sees the whole picture and my view is so limited.  That is hard though, when what we are living is so painful.

After church my parents were not here so after waiting a while for them, the kids and I decided to eat without them.  Just as we were finishing up my parents came home and said there was someone outside who wanted to talk to me.  I walked outside to see Neil L. Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles stretching out his hand to me.

He offered his condolences and told me how proud he was of me for my faith.  He asked if Trent had been ill for long and I told him Trent had been sick for 2 1/2 years.  He asked if there was anything he could do and I kind of laughed/cried and said, "Yeah, tell me when the Second Coming is!"  He just smiled an empathetic smile and put his hand on my shoulder.  Darn it!

Each of the kids came out and met him as well.  Of course, Jonny introduced himself as Jonorias instead of Jonathan.  (Trent used to tell Jonny stories about a knight in shining armor whose name was Jonorias and now that is the only name Jonathan will use.)  Mallory just had to be dressed in full princess get up that moment too.  Jarom made sure to do a lengthy, multi-step, end-with-a-snap handshake. Megan and Zach were perfect little adults with him.

Elder Anderson talked with us and said he did not know why sometimes young people are called and it can seem so hard, but he promised us that we will be happy again and we will have joy.  He then told us that he has a perfect knowledge of life after death and that we will be with Trent again.  WOW.  I was so humbled to be in the presence of one of the Twelve Apostles and hear him give his apostolic witness of Christ and the Plan of Salvation.  I hope the kids caught on to that, but if they didn't, you can be sure that will be the topic of Family Home Evening tomorrow night!

Elder Anderson asked the kids to let him know when they turn in their mission papers because he wants to look at each of them.  He also said he would come back and perform their marriages in the temple.  It was amazing and definitely a blessing for our little family.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience! I'm so glad that you have an apostle looking out for you and your children. I'm so glad that you went to church and I am so glad you shared your testimony. If you can, please share your family home evening lesson. You are such an amazing example. The Lord loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO amazing, Holly!! What a neat experience for you and the kids to have. I hope that you always remember his words, and that they will help you in the future. Makes you wonder just how he received that "perfect knowledge." That sure is something that I would like to have for myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and there you have your first miracle! I keep thinking about you and the thought came to me that maybe the miracle(s) will be how Trent's situation affected others. The faith he showed, the way you handled and are still handling the situation, etc. Your children received a miracle today that not many children get to have. An Apostle of the Lord telling them in person that they will see their dad again. I can't wait to give you a hug one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't met you but was introduced to your blog a few days ago. Thank you for sharing your story in such a beautiful way. What a wonderful experience to have met an apostle today! That will be a memory to cherish forever. Your testimony strengthens mine. Know that you have one more family praying for you and your sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so nice to get to meet you, I just wish it would have been under different circumstances...I have thought of you often this past week. I know how your heart must be aching. Paul said to tell you it does get easier with time. My mom passed away last Monday. I am extremely sad about it, but I know my dad is hurting even more. I am so grateful for the knowledge we have of eternal life. What a blessing to have a visit from Neil Anderson...Trent is watching over you! Remember it is okay to cry...as my mom always told me, there is salt in tears and salt heals wounds. My thoughts and prayers are with you! Love to you and your children. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly the pick up you guys needed- in seeing our loving Father's hand in his earthly angels here on earth, not just from a family member, or a friend but an APOSTLE! What a beautiful moment that must have been, something I am sure that you guys will always look back upon for strength and reassurance from the Lord. I have a strong feeling Trent petitioned for this special visit to let you know that both sides of the veil are SO SO mindful of your tender feelings, and your sensitive hearts at this time. Not very many people get such a personal witness from the Lord through his mouth pieces. You truly are in such capable loving hands. =)Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, who are you???? What faith you must have had before coming to earth. What a cherished daughter you are. You have earned a reward in your young life that is beyong what I can comprehend. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of us and that he truly does not want to see us sad and having to endure the mourning and seperation that death brings. I also know that it is the only way we can come back to him and the process, though sorrowful, remains a beautiful promise. I burst into tears as I read this blog but they were much different tears. Not of pain but of joy. Holly, who has an Apostle stop at their front door? It is as the Savior himself stopped and the witness that he bore of his perfect knowledge touches my soul deeper that I have ever known. Trent is well, he is happy and he is in your life. He is your husband and will always be anticipating holding you in his arms, in a better place, where your perfect knowledge will blend with his perfect knowledge and you will have all of your answers. I am humbled by your visitor and his promise of missions and marriages. Oh, Holly, you have a job to do and though it isn't what you wanted, your life will be and already has been blessed beyond anyones I have ever seen. Elder Anderson is one of the Father's chosen to lead and direct his church on the earth. You have been touched and promised. You are someone special. Dust off your shoes, my dear daughter in law, you have a work to do. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was really special. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. It strengthens my faith and testimony of the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly,
    How amazing for you and your kids! It will always be a moment cemented it time. How perfect to for your kids to be exactly who they are, perfect kids! I am so sure Elder Anderson was equally amazed by you as well, your faith is so amazing.
    Love you, Camie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holly,
    How amazing for you and the kids! It was perfect for you kids to be exactly who they are! I am sure your testimony of faith touched Elder Anderson, like it has for so many of us. In your time of overwhelming emotion and longing for Trent what a miraculous demonstration of love from a Heavenly Father who is ever mindful of you.
    Love You! Camie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've followed your blog for some time - can't remember how I initially came across it. I went to high school with you and my mother mentioned last week that she had been at Trent's funeral. I'm so sorry for the loss that you and your children are suffering! Both yours and Trent's tenacity and faith have been inspiring.

    You'd mentioned previously that your blog was intended as a record for your children. You may already know this, but it's very easy to have the blog printed as a book. I just did this with my blog so my kids can have it when they're MUCH older.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a neat and memorable experience. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holly, I just now found this post. How Wonderful!!! With tears in my eyes I am so happy that you had this experience and that you shared it with all of us. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great example.

    James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world

    I hope you and your family realize what an inspiration you are to all of us. You have shared with us this tender mercy, and certainly our father in heaven is watching out over your family. You are becoming a light to so many, and our prayers go out in your behalf.

    ReplyDelete