Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gratitude

I am still struggling each day and some days are better than others.  Some times of the day are better than others.  Since Trent passed away I have read a billion books on death and grief.  I started reading the book on grief I picked up at Seagull for my birthday.  The author really stresses that you have to choose not to dwell on the negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts.  I don't really have negative thoughts about Trent, minus the ugliness he endured during cancer.   I do have a lot of negative thoughts about what I have lost, what will never be the same, and what should have been. I find myself replaying the events of his passing and the sadness that brings.  It still breaks my heart each time I remember that he really is gone.

Last night I was having a particularly hard time while putting the kids to bed.  I had sent the little ones to bed and told them I would be in to read them a story shortly.  I thought I was being quiet enough to cry for just a minute, but apparently not. Mallory came back in my room and wrapped her arms around me and whispered in my ear, "Mommy, I am so sorry you are sad.  I am sorry that you have to go through this."  She is such a sweet little thing and I am sure she has heard someone else tell me those things.  But I know she doesn't like to see me sad either.  She told me she cried herself to sleep last night, thinking about Trent.  She also keeps a journal and writes things she remembers about Trent.  I hope she never runs out of memories to write down.

Last night and this morning I prayed so hard that I could be positive and find things to be grateful for each day.  So, today I am grateful that Trent is out of pain, that he no longer has to endure the heartache and suffering of his mortal body.  I am grateful that we have five beautiful children together that make me strong and wrap their arms around me when I am weak.  I am extremely grateful for our temple marriage and the blessings and promises that are ours.  Lastly, I am grateful that I am the one who "managed" the household.  I know how to register and maintain our cars, insurance, finances, etc.  I have always been the one to take care of that stuff.  When I was pregnant with our second child I sat Trent down and showed him what bills we paid and how to do it.  I was thinking he could give me a break for a month or two after the baby was born.  Boy was I wrong!  The next morning he woke up with a mouth full of canker sores from stress.  That was the first and last time he ever paid a bill. :)


4 comments:

  1. Trying to find gratitude against the turbulence is incredibly tricky beyond words... with our hearts breaking with piercing pain which peeks at various times, It often amazes me that we as mortals can even keep breathing, because it hurts so terribly. Your sweet and dear 5 little ones are just beautiful pieces of Trent. Loving my Caleb, can only physically be done my loving his siblings, for they each have a small piece of him that reminds me that he is and always is with us, though my darn physical eyes can not see him at this time... but my heart greatly yearns for that day.
    You and your family are so loved by us Mathison's.
    =)Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. The canker sore story brought a smile. Funny. You are doing a good job Holly. One day at a time. We love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT must be the reason I have canker sores! I hate paying bills and we never taught Trent that little life lesson. Sorry, Holly! I look at the willow tree statue of gratitude that you guys gave me EVERY day and I think of all I have to be grateful for. If there is anything he would request of us it would be to always have gratitude. Keep pressing forward. Inch by inch. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor guy with the canker sores, ouch. what a sweet man to have so much worry. and you are an amazing, strong woman. you have been prepared for even this heartbreaking trial for some time. what a blessing that trent knew he could trust that all would be okay. tender as your heart is now, each day a slight bit of strength is added, whether it be in the embrace of a child, or moments in the temple. if you search for it, you will recognize it. know that you are loved by SO many, and more importantly by a loving husband who is patiently waiting for the day you are all reunited. he can't wait to hold you, as much as you can't wait to hold him. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete