Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Trent-2, Cancer-1

Day three kicked our bums. Friday night Trent started getting really agitated. He ended up having an anxiety attack and needing medication to go to sleep. By morning I hoped he would be better. The first thing he said to me was, "That was quite a panic at the disco last night, huh?" Uh...sign number one that Saturday was going to be rough. He didn't get a lot of sleep so he ended up napping almost all day. The times that we was awake were not pleasant. He was really confused and kept quizzing himself on the dates of all of our birthdays and how old all the kids were. 95% of the time he was wrong. He even said that he needed to live to give Mallory the priestood. What?! Cancer and apostacy? More than I can handle. :)

I had alerted all the nurses and doctors to his condition and told them I was concerned with his mental state. We agreed to watch it and see what happened. By lunch it was worse. He couldn't hold the fork at all and kept knocking everything over. He couldn't control his body or bodily functions and was more incoherent than ever. Trevor and Eric Mathison came up and gave him a blessing which helped him sleep for the afternoon.

By dinner time his mind was gone. He repeated everything five or six times, couldn't remember what month it was and was just all over the map. Again, I told the nurses who talked to the doctors and decided to quit chemo early for the day. At about 9:00 I called Trevor to come back to the hospital. Trent was crying and saying that he didn't want to die, then the next sentence was him begging Heavenly Father to take him. At this point I smacked him hard on the shoulder. It woke him up a little and he tried to be more coherent. It was pretty scary for a while. His hands and arms were shaking unvoluntarily and with his blabbering it was pretty intense. He kept saying, "You promised Holly, you promised I would be fine and you don't break your promises!" I held it together pretty good but then had to look away and fight the tears. I did promise him he would be fine. I know he will. I received answers to my prayers confirming this. It is just going to be a long hard road to get there.

Finally he started to come around about 12:00am. Trevor stayed with us until about 1:00am. I am really grateful for that. They are supposed to start chemo again this morning after the doctor checks him out. So here we go again. We decided that it doesn't matter the score in the end just so long as Trent is ahead. So keep the prayers going up for us...we need it so badly!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my. This isn't something I expected. What have the doctors expressed as far as normal reactions? So many factors working to cause such anxiety and add tough medications...bad combination. The good thing would be that these loopy reactions will be temporary. You, Holly, will have a greater memory of this than Trent will. Please seek the help you need to understand and cope. Are there caregivers in the hospital for you? I will only call Trevor today as I am not going to bother you guys as you fight through this. Keep trudging through...there is joy to come. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the horror of losing track of sanity. Trent, I hope you're o.k.. What a frightening experience.

    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trent.. Hang in there buddy. You will beat this.. You are in our prayers, along with your entire family.
    We love you.
    Nathan and Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers from the east coast... We are following your progress daily. For whatever reason, this has had a major impact on Amy & I. We fasted with you last weekend. We are praying for you!
    -Gene Summers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there trent... I love you.. and Holly just for the record it might not be the chemo that's causing the memory loss and craziness.. I hear that runs in the family... have you ever talked to my mother late at night... sorry to out you mom... hahaha stay strong... and our prayers are with you....

    ReplyDelete