Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dad-Are you there?

You may remember the talk given by Elder Hammond a couple of conferences ago. Well we experienced something similar at about 3:30am Friday morning. We had been waiting for our parents to come from Utah and Idaho. They finally walked in the door at about 3:30 and Trent sat up in bed and called for his dad just as I imagine he had done as a child. His dad swept him up in his arms as Trent sobbed and told him how scared he was.

After just a couple hours of sleep-Doug, my dad, Trent, and I got up to go to Omaha for another appointment with Dr. Silva. He needed to check out the incision after all the bleeding we had the day before. He said it was fine and we could expect a little more bleeding. The incision is so ugly! He had to take out quite a large chunk of skin and tumor to get enough for pathology. The material used for the stitches is so big! Dr. Silva said it was like fishline. Uh---more like SHARK line! It has really been causing Trent so much pain. He can't get comfortable and can hardly move. He is now using a walker regularly and spending most of his time in bed. I can't believe how much he has changed in just one week.



Friday was a great day for me. I was super positive and mostly dry-eyed. It was great to have family here. Ben and Michelle came up too and it is nice to have the kids engaged in something other than watching Dad be sick.

Trent had a different kind of day. He was pretty emotional and mostly in pain. Today has been the same. I think I am cycling through the grief process. I feel so mad at Trent-of all people! I guess I am mad at the whole situation. I still feel like I will just wake up and he will be better-like he has just had the flu or something. Then I think the whole thing is just too dramatic to be real. But then I see how Trent moves-or doesn't move and it hits me all over again. My husband has cancer. Yuck. I hate that!




Today has been a flurry of activity with everyone picking a job and jumping in. It is overwhelming and I feel like I have no control of the situation. I know it is for the best but I like it more when I plan out the day and carry out the plan. I guess those days are over for a while.

We continue to be so blessed by all those around us. Our neighbors have taken over the yardwork, ward members are bringing in meals, people are sending cards and well wishes. It is so humbling to be on this end of it! I know I have many lessons to learn from this and that we will be better people because of it. I just hope we can learn our lessons really fast!

7 comments:

  1. Im starting to feel like a blog stalker checking your blog everyday. You have been on the top of my mind and in our hearts and prayers here this last week. Its so nice to see some family there with you guys- hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to check it EVERYDAY too.. :)
    You guys are in every thought.. and Nathan is constantly talking about Trent.. :)
    You are amazing!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that birthday decor hanging from the chandelier?? he he!! Hang in there Holly! It is hard having people do things for you especially when you're not the main director, but everyone really wants to help. I think it's easier being on the helping end rather than the receiving. If it were the other way around, that would indicate a problem. Can you say moocher?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE the fact that my son has cancer also. But I love the fact that he is covered up by his little blankey that he had as a child. Wow. That polyester was amazing stuff!! :-) Remember CANCER SURVIVOR....his miracles are yet to come and come and come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YaY for moms and dads! There's just something so comforting about having them there. And it's no surprise to see your mama in the kitchen already. Not being in charge is a hard thing, but maybe it's a good reminder of WHO really is in charge of everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AACK!! It must all be so weird! I just keep imagining how it must be. (and it makes me shed a tear:) We're with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you learn the lessons really fast too!! You have been in my thoughts and prayers as I have heard about Trent, Holly. May the Lord bless your family at this difficult time. So glad your parents are there to help out and offer hugs and needed support. Keep the faith...Love, Jennie Baird

    ReplyDelete