Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Post Op Day 2

Today was a pretty good day for Trent.  His pain has been managed very well and most times he would say was at a 0 or 2-3 on the pain scale.  That is fantastic for him!  He got up and walked a few steps twice today.  It is quite the ordeal to get him up.  With all the wires and tubes everywhere it takes one nurse to manage that and two nurses to manage Trent.  The best thing for him right now is to be moving. 



He has been doing some breathing treatments and exercises which tend to wear him out a little.  He also started a soft food diet today.  He has to be really careful to not let anything go down the wrong pipe so eating is very slow and deliberate with lots of breaks in between bites.  

The right side of his body is still very sore.  It is like he has deep tissue bruises where his body was on the operating table in one position for so long.  We have been keeping ice on those spots and trying some gentle massage.  If he didn't have that to contend with he would be doing way better.

Dr. Carr stopped by today and was happy with all of Trent's numbers.  He told us how impressed he was with Trent's ability to breathe so well with just one lung.  The docs were joking that Trent's numbers were better with one lung than 95% of the staff with two lungs.  That was good to hear.  He is still on oxygen but at only one liter and his oxygen saturation is consistently at 98 or higher.  We are hopeful that by the time he is released from the hospital he will be off oxygen and not have to worry about that.  They are going to remove the central line tomorrow.  I am glad for that because it is not fun looking at the line that is stitched to his neck, hang all over in weird positions.  It pulls at his skin and looks terribly uncomfortable although Trent doesn't complain about it.  Tomorrow they can stop being as stingy with the fluids and give his kidneys a little more rest.  They only want to keep him "dry" for 48 to 72 hours post op.  They are also stepping down the blood pressure medicine because with the increase in fluid intake, he doesn't need the extra help keeping his blood pressure high enough.  Things are trending in the right direction.  Hopefully he will be transferred over to the Huntsman by Monday.  

All in all it was a very good day.  I am hoping that tomorrow is as as good.

(Just realized the video didn't load on yesterday's post.  It is there now.)

7 comments:

  1. After my lung surgery all I wanted to do was sleep but I was so freaked out about the Dr.'s coming in and getting upset that I wasn't walking or using that dang breathing thing that I forced myself awake. I hated it but knew it would help get me out of the hospital. Truthfully, the thing that helped my breathing the most finally, once I was home, was a really good, outa control, sobbing, emotional breakdown. Wow. Did I ever have to take some deep breaths! And I craved cold, wet, fruit. My body was trying to tell me to rehydrate and flush out the toxins I think. Well, I'm thinking of you. Tell Trent I know how he feels and how hard it is. Love to both of you. Rena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Trent! Keep fighting! And Yay for the Huntsman on Monday. Something to look forward to, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Looking good.. and well on your way to recovery! You are doing amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Camie,
    I usually just text you, but after reading your dads post before the surgery I thought I would post.
    What a miraculous experience! To watch the way you both fight to stay together as a family on earth is such an example of creating an eternal family here on earth! You teach us all just by the way you live your life. Thank you, keep up the fight, it helps us all feel victorious!

    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best to your family ALL your family. As you know I know a lot of them, My best to rest...Hard to wish him all I would..to put just those things into words. I will remember them all in my prayers. ....Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. The news is awesome! You guys rock! And Trent, I can't wait for the party celebrating your success. I know you have been blessed in unbelievable ways and I know your invincible faith has rubbed off on a lot of people, including myself. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly & Trent, many prayers to you and your special family. Trent, keep fighting! Holly, remember to take a little time for yourself to decompress. Above all, keep trusting in the Lord. He is most awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete