Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Little Hiccup

This morning at about 1:00 am Trent woke me up to tell me about a dream he was having.  He said he was dreaming about checkmarks.  What?!  He woke me up to tell me about checkmarks?  He continued to say that it was like he was looking at a map of his life and it was littered with checkmarks at crucial points.  There was a checkmark at the point that my life intersected his and checkmarks where each of our children were born among other things.  Then he went back to sleep.  Uh...okay.

About two hours later he woke me up again to ask if I remembered what he told me about his dream.  I said I did and related back to him what he told me earlier.  He then explained that he realized during his dream that throughout his life when he thought he knew what was best and things didn't happen to go his way, they always turned out better than he had planned.  Even with all the bumps in the road, Heavenly Father's plan has always been better. 

I thought it was funny that he came to that realization in the middle of the night and just had to wake me up to tell me about it, and had to wake me up to make sure I remembered it.


After breakfast Trent asked for scrub bottoms to wear.  I was trying to help him put them on and he just stood right up by himself.  That was a big step from where we have been.  He walked all the way down the hall and back with only one rest.  It was almost twice as far as he walked the day before. 

This afternoon Dr. Nagasawe, Dr. Carr's associate, came in and told us the xray from this morning showed that Trent's heart is moving a little to the right.  Not good since the left side of his chest is vacant.  That means that the air in Trent's chest is pushing his heart a little too much.  They are considering inserting a needle into Trent's chest to expel some air.  That is exactly what we don't want to happen because of the risk of infection.  The risk is small but if we can avoid it, we should. 

We Skyped with Dr. Carr about an hour after that so he could see Trent and visually assess him.  Trent and I had already talked about watching the xrays for a day or two before we jump into a risky procedure for him.  Dr. Carr said that for everyone else the procedure is a piece of cake, but Trent's chest is full of mesh and introducing the slightest bacteria could be disastrous.

Trent 'skyping' with Dr. Carr

After we talked with Dr. Carr we noticed a bit more swelling in Trent's lower body, particularly on the right side.  Trent started getting a little spooked about it.  We will definitely be watching that closely and doing all we can to make sure it goes away.  We need to make sure that he practices with the incentive spirometer and walks regularly.  Trent is determined to do everything he can to meet every goal we set.  He was so motivated he even got up for a second walk and went even further than before without much trouble. 

Tomorrow marks one week since surgery and we are going to celebrate by letting Trent take a shower. Yippee!  Baby steps people, baby steps. :)

6 comments:

  1. I've been watching your blog like a hawk, so sorry for all the commenting from me...but thanks for the info. It is always good for us to have specific things to pray for regarding Trent. As always we will keep praying for him and for you. Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the two of you are amazing! You look so strong Trent. I hope that they won't have to go in and expel some air. The blessings are pouring over you and the Lord loves you! It's important to take it one moment at a time. You are improving each day. We love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always my best to your family, it is hard for me to imagine what you are experiencing. This is again Mark ... Greer And again my prayers will be with the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is ok to take baby steps.. Slow and steady is alright! We pray for your family EVERY day,and will continue to do so. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a couple of spiritual dreams as well. They really lifted my spirits. They were off the wall but very happy dreams. I remember waking up smiling. Trent looks good. Good color. Rena

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear the surgery went well, and I hope Trent continues to recover nicely (and no needle is necessary and the swelling goes down!). I check anxiously for updates. Thanks for bringing them to us. ♥

    ReplyDelete