Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Sweet Husband

Trent had a bit of a rough day.  It is becoming increasingly difficult for him to get comfortable.  He has a lot of chest pain and can only lay on his left side.  He has started coughing up blood again.  Tomorrow they are considering doing another bronchoscopy to determine the cause of the bleeding in his lungs. If they can find the source they will probably do a localized radiation to cauterize it.  They gave him a breathing treatment and that loosened up enough sputum to do a culture on.  Those results will take another day or two.  Hopefully we will have results from the blood cultures that were done in Brigham by tomorrow.  
 After the breathing treatment they took Trent down for a CT scan of his chest.  The results were not surprising.  The tumor in the lower left lobe has grown another 2X3 centimeters.  We pretty much expected that since there was no treatment.  The tumor in his pericardium has grown but only slightly.  All the other tumors have grown a bit but not significantly.  The upper lobe of the left lung has partially collapsed.  There are small pleural effusions on both lungs and there is also a pericardial effusion.  They may "tap" him tomorrow to take care of those.  He has enlarged lymph nodes around his heart and an enlarged spleen.  These are probably due to the infection-whatever it is.  They are continuing the "big gun" antibiotics but have taken him off Meripenum in case they need to use it later on. 

Trent has been on morphine, OxyContin, and oxycodone 24/7 to try to control the pain.  It has been really hit and miss as far as comfort goes.  He has held tight to his little bear from the BCCH EMTs.  I guess he is sending extra love to the kids. :) 
This afternoon I was really tired and laid down on the little couch to close my eyes for just a minute or two.  I awoke to see Trent putting a blanket on me.  What?!  He was dragging his IV pole with him to bring me a blanket to make sure I was comfortable.  What a sweetie.  Even when he feels like death he is thinking of me. 

Trent was getting pretty anxious this evening so we called my Dad and brother, Josh, to come give him a blessing.  It was a beautiful blessing of comfort and strength for all the procedures and treatments that are anticipated for tomorrow.  As soon as his blessing was done he asked my dad to give me a blessing as well.  He was upset because he couldn't do it himself but we put my chair right next to his bed and Josh held Trent's hand on my head so he could participate.  He is definitely the most loving and selfless man I have ever met.  I am the luckiest woman in the world to have Trent as my best friend, father to my children, and eternal companion.  I would walk this road a thousand times over for him.  It has been the hardest thing I have ever done to watch him suffer so much.  Through it all he has been such a strength to me.  We are anxious about what lies ahead but we are at peace.  I have faith that whatever happens will be for our good.  I am still praying and hoping for a miracle and believe with every fiber of my being that Trent can beat this.  He is the strongest person I know and I am beyond blessed to have him as my sweet husband.

9 comments:

  1. Holly, you and Trent are some of the most selfless people. You are made for each other. Through this whole ordeal your love for each other has amazed me. We are lucky to have you guys as friends. Your strength is remarkable. Miracles happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Holly and Trent,

    Our prayers and thoughts are always with you. Like you say, you're in God's hands.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted you to know we love you all, and wish there were something we could do to just make it all better. I swear, you have got to be the strongest family I know. You've helped remind me just how blessed we all really are, and to be thankful for every day that we have with those we love.

    Hang in there, keep your faith as strong as you have been, and know you have the love and prayers of all your family and friends, wherever we are out there.

    --Michelle Rogerson & Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully said, Holly. That is so tender that Trent was trying to take care of you. He is a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I've really got to stop reading your posts at work...I'm crying like a baby! I am so blessed to know you and I want to thank you for sharing your experiences as well as your sweet testimony with all of us. You are such an example to me! Our family is fasting for Trent again today. Our ward is fasting also.

    I read this verse this morning and thought of you: "But behold, I will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." (1 Nephi 1:20)

    We are praying that the Lord will see fit to send some tender mercies your way and soon! Go Team Trent!!!

    --Kristen and Tyler Walton, Brigham City, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly -- your beautiful family is walking in the valley right now, but as you continually testify, you are not walking alone. The Savior is with you, and so many prayers continue for miracles and peace and the fulfillment of promises.

    I thought of you when I heard this scripture earlier today. I hope you don't mind that I've personalized it below. Thank you for the great faith that you share with all of us who read your posts. Praying that your burdens will be made light.

    12 And Trent and Holly and their family did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.

    13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

    14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

    15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Trent and Holly and their family were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

    16 And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry -- forgot to put the reference. It's Mosiah 24: 12-16.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful the scriptures. I am but in embryo compared to your faith. Someday I hope to have your strength and courage. But for now, I must rely on you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to bed last night having a bit of a pity party for myself, then spent the morning catching up on ur blog. It definitely put me in my place. As Jo said, my faith is nothing compared to u guys. Next time ur in salt lake and need anything--a blessing, a prescription picked up, help getting Trent anywhere--we are minutes away and can come whenever.

    ReplyDelete