Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Monday, January 23, 2012

Forward with Hope and Faith

We have had a few ups and downs since Wednesday.  Thursday was really iffy.  I was really hoping that because Trent had been doing so well on Tuesday and Wednesday, he would be able to continue right on up to Infusion day this Wednesday.  If there is one thing we have learned about cancer...it is that it is unpredictable.  As much as I try to track all the side effects from one round to the next, cancer still throws in a turn or two I did not expect.  Needless to say, I was very disappointed when Trent started heading downward again.  He just didn't feel well Thursday.  He didn't sleep well and wasn't able to eat too much, just no appetite.  He weighed himself and was irritated to see that he was losing more weight.  He is now down to 205, from 228 just three weeks ago.  He also started to cough up blood again.  This time it was more (almost 1 cup in a 24 hour period), to the point that I was getting nervous.  I called Dr. Carr on Friday night and talked with him about it.  He said that if Trent coughed up the same amount Saturday and Sunday that he would need to see him on Monday for sure.  Once again, we called our little family around us and said a very fervent and specific prayer. Not surprisingly the coughing has stopped, the appetite is back, and last night Trent did NOT have cancer sweats!  I cannot deny those results.  We have asked for very specific things and have been blessed over and over again to see answers to those prayers.  We try to point that out to our kids...I hope they are listening!  We are truly being watched over.  I get excited to say my prayers at night because that is my "check in time"  where I get to report the days' events and thank my Heavenly Father for His watchful care of my husband and family.

I have been doing some reading about how to help Trent strengthen his lungs.  I have had him working on the incentive spirometer for a few weeks now.  He goes up and down in how high he can get the little ball.  I also read that he should be eating small meals several times a day.  We have tried that and it seems to be working well for him.  Hopefully he will be able to gain a few pounds before Wednesday!

Yesterday Trent was able to come to Sunday School and Sacrament meeting with us.  We had him on oxygen and he was doing pretty well.  During Sacrament meeting he was coughing a little bit so I reached for a Ricola.  Suddenly he got a stabbing pain in his abdomen.  He inhaled sharply and grabbed his side.   He was writhing and wincing in pain.  I looked up at the stand to see if my dad was seeing this.  He was completely oblivious but his counselor, President Bailey was on full alert.  I could tell he was waiting for the sign from me to sprint off the stand and carry Trent out.  One look and he would have flown to our rescue.  Luckily, after a very intense minute or so, the pain subsided.  Trent was sweating and panting.  I meekly offered him that stupid Ricola I was still holding.  Wow, I am sure that helped! :s  When the meeting ended Jonathan was asleep.  I was carrying him while trying to hold up a very wobbly Trent who kept saying he was going to pass out.  I am sure we were quite the sight!  My friend Suzanne swooped in and grabbed Jonathan out of my arms so I could get Trent to the car.   Maybe it is good that "all eyes are on us" sometimes. :)

Last night Trent was doing great.  He watched football with my family and really enjoyed himself.  While he watched I went to a fireside with Megan to celebrate 100 years of Seminary.  President Boyd K. Packer spoke and he advised us all that we need to continue forward with hope and faith.  That is what it is all about, hope and faith...in a forward motion.  There is not time to sit still.  So, on we go...


3 comments:

  1. Holly, you and your family continue to inspire me and my family.

    I have talked about you to my husband and boys, and my ten year-old yesterday on his own asked if he could fast "for that dad with the five kids who is sick." I thought that was a great idea, so I joined him. It was a wonderful experience for both of us.

    I also added your names to the Seattle Temple prayer roll.

    Please know that faith and good thoughts are flowing to you from many places and hearts. We are grateful for the way your faith has strengthened ours and continue to pray for relief and complete healing for Trent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsten,

      That brought me to tears! How sweet of your son to think of us. Maybe, just maybe, that fast is the reason for the good day Trent had! That really means a lot to us...tell your son 'Thank You' as well!

      Delete
  2. have been away from my computer for a few weeks due to surgery. today is my first few minutes at the keyboard, but i had to check in on you guys! yesterday sounds harrowing to say the least. but am glad to hear he was able to spend some happy time with the fam. football time is definitely happy time. :) also very glad to hear you got to take in the fireside last night. wish i could've gone, but from my daughter & husband's reports back, it was an edifying & a spiritually replenishing night. hoping you're feeling replenished in many ways! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete