Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Surgery Eve

I can't believe the time has gone so quickly.  I feel like I want to run back and gather it all up again and enjoy it one more time.  The last few weeks have been wonderful.  Trent has felt great and we used every minute we could to have fun with our kids.  Trent even felt well enough to help build a deck for my parents.  He loved feeling productive again and building is something he is very good at.

We went to our pre op appointment yesterday and everything is set for tomorrow.  Dr. Friedberg will be arriving today.  He was a little nervous that Dr. Carr didn't have the right instruments so he mailed them ahead of time.  Dr. Carr showed them to us yesterday.  Fascinating but a little creepy too.  They were huge, not the little dainty ones I had imagined them using.  We spoke with Dr. Carr at length about the surgery and risks.  We are both positive that this is the correct step.  But as sure as we are, it doesn't make it any less scary.  Trent told Dr. Carr that he will never stop fighting.  Dr. Carr told us that was a big reason why he is doing this surgery, because of our attitude.  He said that some people with early stage cancers are sure they are going to die, but Trent is looking down the barrel of one of the worst scenarios possible and saying he is going to survive.  He told me he would never forget our first meeting.  He knew he had met his match when I started questioning him.  I laughed at that, I do remember our meeting well, and I do remember putting him through the wringer and letting him know exactly where we stood and what our goals were.  Those goals have not changed.  We are now taking the action that is necessary to achieve those goals.

Last night when I went to bed my emotions got the best of me.  I wish we had one more night to tuck in our kids and make it perfect, one more night to have scripture study and family prayer, one more of everything. I just want to make sure that if anything were to be our last, it would be memorable and sweet.  I guess that is how I should look at everything.  If this morning were the last time I spoke with Megan, would it be a sweet memory? or me shooing her out of the car, five minutes late for voice lessons.  Did I look into Mallory's eyes and tell her I love her when she left for school or did I absently pat her on the back and tell her goodbye?  Cancer has certainly changed my perspective and I need to work hard each day to make it the best that I can.

Dr. Carr and Dr. Friedberg have been in our prayers constantly and will continue to be tomorrow.  We are praying that their movements will be flawless and precise.  We praying for a dead tumor and a complication free surgery and recovery.  We are praying for Trent to have the strength and health to endure this massive surgery.  In short, we are praying for a miracle.

We are having a fast starting tonight.  Please join us if you can.  We thank you so much for joining your faith and prayers with ours.  It has been a tremendous road, and I am afraid we have the biggest hill left before us.  However, we fully trust in the Lord and His will and His ability to heal all things.

11 comments:

  1. We will be fasting and praying for Team Trent. Also, we put your names in the Manti Temple. Best of luck. Keep us posted! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We pray that you will have all the strength that you need to get through this. We wish you the best tomorrow and will be praying and fasting for you and your doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been and will continue to pray for your family. We are heading to the temple in Omaha tomorrow as well and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. HE is with you always, we wish you the best!

    The Berry's

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Holly's Dad. I want to thank each of you for your prayers, your faith, your love, and your comments. As you are no doubt aware, this blog is therapy for Holly. She and Trent read each comment together. You have given them strength and courage and Heavenly Father has given them "peace that surpasseth understanding.". Many of you have commented on their strength and faith. I assure you that all that you have read or felt is true. They are the real deal. They are solid and uncomplicated and honest and true. I am so very proud of both of them.

    Tomorrow they will look death in the face and they will not flinch...and they will overcome fear yet again and replace it with faith. Whatever happens will be in accordance with Heavenly Father's will. We want nothing other than that. So, tonight in our prayers we will plead for the miracle...again. And we will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we will plead throughout the day tomorrow as we fast together as a family. We know there will be hundreds of you who will be joining us in that effort. I pray that Heavenly Father will pour out a blessing upon you for your compassion and that you will feel His love for you as His precious child.

      Holly asked me how I feel about this surgery. I told her that I've always felt very calm, but I don't really know what that means. I think we are learning to trust Him.

      God bless you all. We are grateful beyond measure for all you have done. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of our lives. Our hope and faith is strong. We pray for God's choicest blessings for you and your loved ones.

      Delete
  5. The Bundys are fasting with you today. You guys are amazing, and God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have spent the last 2 days reading over your last 2 years. Thank you for your faith and testimony! We are definitely praying for you all today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be honored to join my prayers and fasting with all of yours on behalf of your family and medical staff.

    Thank you for sharing the beautiful days you have had in these recent weeks. May those memories sustain you through the weeks ahead as you move toward more beautiful days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us "blog stalkers". You both have taught me so much about faith, courage and the effect a positive attitude can have. I pray for you and your family! Continue to keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly and Trent, Your dad said it perfect.. you are the real deal,honest and true. We are so blessed to call you friends, and the way you guys have demonstated such faith is such a testiment for us. You are the most amazing friends a person could ask for. We are always here and can't wait until this is LONG gone in the review mirror. Brighter days are headed your way. We love you beyond measure, Nathan and Suzy and family

    ReplyDelete