Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Monday, May 14, 2012

Best. Weekend. Ever!

We had such a great weekend!  Trent was even feeling good for most of it which is a real plus.  Friday night Trent and I went to the Desert Star in SLC with Nate and Suzy.  On the way down I was saying that I was glad we were going now instead of for our anniversaries (which is when we had originally gotten tickets last August but Trent ended up being too sick to go).  The Desert Star is a dinner theater and at intermission they always come out and call out all the birthdays and anniversaries that people are celebrating.  I guess I feel a little uncomfortable being put on the spot sometimes and I was grateful that we were not going to be spotlighted.  Trent agreed with me wholeheartedly, so when his name was called it shocked us both.  The guy asked if there was a Trent Rasmussen in the audience.  Silence.  He asked again. More silence.  Finally Suzy yelled, "He is right here!"  Then it went something like this...

Guy: Do you know why we have you on our list?
Trent: No...
Guy: No idea at all?
Trent: Uh...no...
Guy:  It says here that you have just completed your 28th round of chemotherapy.  Is that true?

Trent squeaked out a yes and buried his face in his hands and cried while the audience applauded and gave him a standing ovation!  I was bawling and smiling like a goofball!  

Guy:  Dude, don't cry! You are going to make me bawl too!  Seriously, the front row up here can vouch for that!  I am crying like a baby!  Can I just ask, how is it going?  Are we winning, or how are we doing?
Trent: (Fist pump in the air) We are WINNING!

 Nate and Suzy bombed us twice...the guy later called our names for our anniversary too!  What a fun night!

Saturday was busy from sun up to sun down.  We did manage to squeeze in a limo ride around Brigham though!  My cousin, AJ and his wife and daughter surprised our family with a fun limo ride to get ice cream at Peach City.  We had a blast!  It was a super groovy ride with plenty of room for all of us and the best part was...no seatbelts!  Yeah, we were rebels that day.  Our limo driver, Nigel (a.k.a. AJ) was awesome!  He wore the nice little hat and got the door at every stop.  We dropped off Mallory at a birthday party and the boys at soccer.  We made sure to give a little honk so everyone would turn around. hehehe

Thank you Be Seen Limosine!  If you want a sweet ride like ours, go to http://beseenlimousine.com/




Mother's Day was the icing on the cake!  Trent and the kids worked so hard to make it nice for me.  Mallory made sure that I wasn't doing any work and all the kids really pitched in to take care of everything, including Jonathan's temper tantrum.  

They had planned a picnic for dinner so after church they loaded up the suburban and we drove to Huntsville.  We really had no idea where we would end up, just drove until we saw something we liked.  We ended up at Huntsville Square.  
Mallory

Jarom with a lovely mouthful, Trent, Megan, and Zach
Megan
  
Zach

Trent

This was Jonathan's picnic...asleep the whole time!  He didn't wake up until we left.  Luckily we had made him a sandwich too because he was starving.
 I must have been a little loopy because when Megan asked if she could try driving, I said YES!  AACK!  What was I thinking?  Trent, Mallory, and I jumped in the suburban with Megan and a sleeping Jonathan.  We gave her all the basics, starting with "the long one is the gas".  Only fifteen short feet later she nearly ran into a pole.  Yeah, that made me nervous!  I think we will practice on the driving range for a while. :)
Megan's first time behind the wheel.
 There was a monastery nearby so we drove out to see what it was all about.  Trent stayed in the burb with the still sleeping Jonathan while the rest of us went in to listen to a chant.  It was much different than our church and smelled a little funky.  I think that made the kids a little skeptical but they were super reverent and it was very interesting to see.  Mallory asked about 101 questions and it lead into a good teaching experience for us.  We talked a lot about what we believe and why.

Then we headed home.  On the way we stopped at this waterfall to take a few pics and look around a bit.  It was right off the side of the highway so we didn't stay too long.

Megan, Zach, and Jarom

Mallory and Jonny hanging out of the sun roof.  It was the only way I dared let them see the waterfall because we were so close to traffic.
It was a wonderful day and an awesome weekend.  At one point I was laying on Trent's shoulder watching our kids chase each other around the park throwing "poop bombs" (pinecones) at each other. I had the most content feeling.  I have an amazing husband who loves me so much and five kids that are the light of my life! Ahhh....how sweet life is.

7 comments:

  1. So happy to read about your joy-filled weekend! Lots of prayers still coming your way. Wishing you much more joy and contentment together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read this aloud to my husband. when i made it as far as Trent's standing ovation, he said "OK that's enough, you don't have to read anymore." when i looked at him he had tears coming down his cheeks. :) such a powerful example of endurance you guys are! thank you for sharing this beautiful weekend here. i DID go ahead and read the whole post to him, btw, and we were both delighted at all the blessings you were able to enjoy. your head on Trent's shoulder is my favorite part. oodles of love to you both! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool, you guys are movie stars or something! A happy weekend is a nice change and we hope to see more of those on here! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "best weekends ever!!" Can't wait until our next outing..You guys are the best of the best. Can't believe you can remember what the dude at Desert Star even said.. :) That was FUN!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post! I'm almost bawling like a baby. So sweet, glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend. You guys deserve it!

    ReplyDelete