Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Catch Ya On the Flipside

Monday morning I got a text from a dear friend letting me know her sweet husband had passed away.  I met Sandra and Paul when they came to Trent's viewing.  They had followed our blog and felt a connection to us.  I am so glad I got to meet Paul before he died.  I visited him a couple of weeks ago and it broke my heart to know that Sandra was going to experience many of the same things that I am experiencing.  I had asked Paul to make sure and find Trent and give him a big hug for me and tell him that I love him.  As I drove down to see Sandra the day the Paul passed away, I was crying as I thought about Paul and Trent meeting.  I got the very distinct impression that they had indeed met and I felt like Trent was thanking me for sending my love with Paul.  I spent several hours with Sandra that day.  I was a bit nervous to see her because I thought it might throw me back into those difficult emotions that I experienced right after Trent passed away. We laughed, we cried, and we strengthened each other. As I spoke with Sandra I felt that Trent was proud of me and was watching with great pleasure as Sandra and I comforted each other.  She is amazing and I love her so much!  I am continually amazed at how much I gain when I reach out to others.  

Today I had the honor of attending Paul's funeral and memorial services.  I have been gearing up all week for this.  As I drove to the funeral home my mind was filled with memories of Trent's memorial services and the feelings I had on that day.  I fought back tears a couple of times but I mostly felt peace.  I was so uplifted and strengthened by the messages that were given at Paul's funeral.  One message that struck me was the fact that "adversity is temporary but what you become is permanent".  That really made me think.  All adversity is temporary because this life is temporary.  Some adversity is more temporary than others though.  Our cancer battle was temporary, but the effects of that battle will stay with me throughout the remainder of my life.  The good and the bad.  I  have grown and changed throughout this trial and those effects are permanent.  I can never go back to who I was before.  I am forever changed, hopefully for the better.

At the graveside service I was approached by a woman I have never met before.  She said she followed the blog and was very grateful for the things I have shared and that she had been praying for my family.  I am always humbled when I meet people who have followed the blog and have such an interest in our story.  I was touched by her sincerity.

My day was filled with many moments of love and affirmation.  I did not expect it to be so good for me.  My testimony has been strengthened and I am grateful for that.  Heaven has truly gained another great angel.  Catch ya on the flipside Paul!

Paul Dean Winchester 
(July 20, 1960 - February 25, 2013) 



Paul Dean Winchester
Paul Dean Winchester
“Catch ya on the flipside”
On February 25, 2013, our beloved husband, father, grandfather, son, brother, uncle and friend, Paul Dean Winchester, 52, passed away peacefully in the early morning hours with his loving sweetheart by his side, after a long and valiant battle with stomach cancer.
Paul was born on July 20, 1960, the youngest of four children, in Idaho Falls, ID to K. Duane Winchester and Marie Bybee. Shortly after his birth, his family moved to Harrisville, UT where he was raised. He graduated from Weber High school in 1978.
On August 11, 1978, Paul married his high school sweetheart, Wendy Wayment. They were later sealed in the Salt Lake LDS temple on September 8, 1979. Together they had three beautiful children; Mitch, Katie and Sheila. Wendy preceded Paul in death on August 21, 1995.
In July 1999, Paul started dating the woman of his dreams, Sandra Mayfield, and on February 5, 2000, they were sealed for time and all eternity in the Bountiful LDS temple. Together they had two more beautiful daughters, Hailey and Sophie.
Paul enjoyed an active lifestyle with hobbies including yoga, walking, rock climbing, fly fishing, camping, and card games. He had an amazing sense of humor and was always able to find humor, even in the most trying situations. He always had a smile on his face and a contagious laugh that could brighten any room. He had a great love for music and was a talented chef. It brought him great joy to cook for and serve others. Family was the most important thing to Paul and he demonstrated this daily through his unconditional love and support.
Paul was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served in many various callings, but his most recent calling as High Priest Group Leader was one of his favorites. He had a love for Jesus Christ and lived his life to reflect that. Paul practiced what he preached. He had an amazing gift of seeing the best in others.
Paul is survived by his wife, Sandra; Son, Mitch (Melody) Winchester, Layton; Daughters; Katie Winchester (South Ogden); Sheila (Tony) Brown, Holladay; Hailey and Sophie Winchester, Syracuse; Father; K. Duane Winchester, South Ogden; Brother; Kelly (Janine) Winchester, Loveland, CO; Sister; LuAnn (Kendell) Kennington, SLC; and seven grandchildren.
Paul is preceded in death by his first wife, Wendy; mother, Marie; and Brother, Brad.
Paul had the wonderful opportunity to participate in a program called Reel Recovery, in June 2012. Reel Recovery is a national non-profit organization that conducts free fly-fishing retreats for men battling or recovering from all forms of cancer. In lieu of flowers, Paul has requested donations be made to Reel Recovery.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 11 a.m. at Lindquist’s Layton Mortuary, 1867 No. Fairfield Road. Friends may visit family on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the mortuary. Interment, Lindquist’s Memorial Park at Layton, 1867 No. Fairfield Road.
2 Timothy 4:6-7 “For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.”

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Holly, I am so sorry to hear of your friends death. I have just barely gotten access to the blog again. I am grateful for the peace it gave you. Sounds like Trent has a new friend and totally welcomed him! I know the hug he gave for you was probably the best, thing ever for Trent. Just reading your words made me know that Trent WAS there as you and your friend laughed and cried and comforted one another. And you grew just a little closer to your reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about another loss for you, but I am always so amazed by your strength and faith. Thank you so much for sharing your stories and your testimony. I can feel the spirit as I read your words. Thank you so much for that. I am sure that the support you are offering Sandra is such a strength for her right now and I'm also sure that Trent received your message and loved it!! Bless your family! I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete