Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Friday, January 25, 2013

Getting Ready to Relay!

I am having mixed emotions about this one.  Relay for Life is coming up and Team Trent is making a comeback.  We started Team Trent two years ago but last year we had to team up with another team because Trent was just too sick and I didn't have the time, energy, or capacity to pull it together for Relay for Life.  We always knew that fighting cancer would be a lifetime battle for us, but I really expected that Trent would be here with me.  We figured he would get better and then we would spend our efforts helping other people do the same.  It is bittersweet to continue the fight without him.  When I say bittersweet...it is about 90% bitter and only 10% sweet so far.  

Last night a spaghetti dinner was held to jump start fundraising for Relay for Life.  Megan and Mallory were home sick so I took just my boys.  Jonathan must have had a pound or two of sugar before we left because he was bouncing off the walls!  We got our dinner and sat at a table with four other people we didn't know.  I recognized one man from a previous Relay.  Jonathan set right to work making sure they were all introduced.  He marched right up to one elderly woman and said, "I haven't met you before. What is your name?"  I was thinking that was pretty funny until she told him her name and he replied, "Oh, that's weird!"

As it goes with spaghetti dinners...they are never really fantastic, always a lot more noodles than sauce and the sauce is usually pretty bland without a lot of meat.  Last night's dinner was no different.  So Richard, one of our new friends, offered each of the boys a dollar if they ate their meal.  When he paid up Jonathan took his dollar and said, "Hey! There is no five on this!"  Ugh!  What am I going to do with this kid?

Jonny and his new friend, Richard
We watched a promotional video from last year's Relay and I was surprised at the song they chose as the background music.  I had to sit and listen to Kelly Clarkson's "What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger".  Are you kidding me?  That was just a little harsh for me.  They couldn't have chosen a more appropriate song for such a sensitive circumstance?  I really felt like wringing somebody's neck!  But I tried to act as normal as I could while completely tuning out my surroundings.

There was also a live band, the Greg Simpson Band.  They were really good and played songs that I knew.
Greg Simpson Band
Jonathan jumped up and got his bootie shakin'!  He was really having a great time dancing to the music.  Jarom really wanted to dance too but was just a little too shy to do it.


Jonny even got Richard to get up and dance with him.

Me, Zach, and Jarom--the non-dancers!
We left just before it ended and as we left the lead singer of the band, yes Greg Simpson himself,  called out to me over the microphone.  He wanted to know if he had offended me then wished me goodnight.  Uh...embarrassing!  Thanks for calling me out in front of everyone!  Next time I am sitting in the back!

The whole evening went pretty well.  I was expecting it to be a little harder than it was.  It will probably be different at the actual Relay.  I am going to really have to gear up for that one.

When we got home Zach was messing with his camera.  He figured out that he could make a slideshow with music right on his camera.  Most of his pictures were of Trent.  Of course I was instantly bawling.  It all seems like yesterday and at the same time it feels like forever.  I am grateful though, that the good days are becoming more frequent.  We are going to survive.  We are growing from our experiences.  We miss Trent terribly and can't wait until he is with us again.  But in the meantime, we are making every moment count.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Holly, way to offend the band leader!! I guess the thing you would take away from this is NEVER leave while the band plays on. Haha. That little Jonny looks like Trent dancing out there. What a shaker. He is really such a character. Wondering how the lady responded when he told her her name was weird?? Like Jonarias is such a normal name?? Did he tell her that is what his name is? And the boy knows the difference between a one and a five in MONEY. What is he destined for?? I love that you still will be involved in Relay for Life. My office is getting a team together. Don't know much about the details yet. But the proceeds will eventually bring us a cure and we will see the day that sarcoma is not the killer it once was!! You are moving forward, Hol. I see it as you are not leaving Trent behind, but rather you are picking up the pace to get to him sooner. You guys are going to round a corner one day and crash....right into each others arms. Whoa...beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete