Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Radiation? or Not

Trent and I went to see our new radiation oncologist on Thursday.  We were very surprised to hear her say that Trent would have to qualify for radiation.  She was not sure that IMRT was any better than regular old external beam radiation.  She said that she could not distinguish Trent's heart from the surrounding fluid in the left chest cavity and therefore would not be able to safely radiate his heart.  WHAT!!!???

I called Dr. Carr's nurse, Jenn, after the meeting to see if anything had changed.  I told her that IF we were not going to get IMRT we wanted to do radiation in Ogden, but I also wondered if we needed to fight for IMRT.

That kind of threw us both for a loop and we took the night off to go to a movie.  As soon as we sat down Trent started retching.  Perfect.  I ran out and got him a popcorn bucket, just in case.  It was fun but not super relaxing or anything.  We go through the motions with tons of questions still lingering as to what is happening next.

Friday I got a call from Dr. Carr and he assured me that nothing had changed.  We are still on track.  I appreciate the fact that he took time out to call me and chat about the situation a little bit.  We will hopefully hear from him this week and get a few more answers.

Trent was able to make it to church today for sacrament meeting.  It was nice to see him there but he was in quite a bit of pain.  Of course I didn't have medicine for him because he has not been for so long, I didn't think about it.  I had to have Zach run home in the middle of the meeting to get meds for Trent.  He is slowly getting better but still struggles a bit.  He is doing well without the oxygen during the day but uses it at night.  His heart rate is coming down a little bit which makes me feel better.  I think the biggest thing we are dealing with right now is mental.  That is a hard road...and not much fun.  I will work on getting some counseling set up this week.  Time to decompress...

5 comments:

  1. We can often bear the physical pain in our lives but the emotional pain goes unchecked. Don't let it. Get the help from those professionals who can walk you through the darkness. I know from my own experience that it changes your thought process. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all are often in our thoughts, and prayed for much. How we are so in love with our dear Rasmussen Friends. The mental road is often the most bitter to have to face, because we do not want to open two wounds at once. Especially when we are just trying to face and battle with the 1 Mountain. Holly I too have just recently started up with counseling, I feel awkward being there, but each time I leave, I leave with some new perspective on a thought or idea that I had before. If anything, to just vent and know that this person will not judge or try to fix everything, but will just listen... is sometimes the best medicine out there. I started with the idea to just try it out, for I figure I got nothing to loose but the mental right? And if it helps me and my family great! So why not??
    Loves To You Guys.
    =)Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly,

    Get the counseling ASAP. If you need anti-depreesants/anxiety take them. The counseling is always good. The PHYSICAL side of depression and anxiety is where the medication comes in. The chemical imbalance is the issue. I went for years before I started. I was near a breakdown trying to work, doing everything at home, and deal with the constant fear, up and down of Jeff's cancer.
    They helped me alot. I leveled out. That's it. They LEVEL you out. You do not get high or any such nonsense as that. The dosage will and can be adjusted. It took me about three weeks to feel the difference.

    One warning---once you are on them be prepared to stay on the for the rest of you life. Even with weening off them the symptoms may appear again.

    Bottom line----

    Do it with counseling and a doctor that can prescribe medication. The pros are better than the cons. Your stress and anxiety level is too much not to really check this out.

    As for Trent, he should have been on them if not right from the beginning
    many months ago. The FIRST medication that our oncologist prescribed what Remoron. A fast acting anti-depreesant. Yes, I know that what physical effects they will have on his system. That's where your team comes in to look at the over all picture.

    As always, you know I really love both of you. Believe me, I don't love everyone. The connection was strong the very first time you walked into the Infusion Clinic. The reason is I am here to help. I am here to listen. I am here to comfort. I am hear to make you laugh!!!

    Call me anytime. 24/7.

    Love and kisses,


    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cell number is 801-518-5094.

    ReplyDelete