Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Friday, July 20, 2012

Change of Plans...AGAIN

Trent and I visited the radiation oncologist, Dr. Kokeny, on Thursday.  She told us that she, along with the other doctors, did not think that radiation was a good option for us at this time.  After all they learned about Trent on Wednesday, they all agreed that he needed a systemic treatment and that radiation would possibly be used sometime in the future if a tumor became large enough to be symptomatic.  After talking with her for a while, Trent and I agreed.  We then headed upstairs to see Dr. Gouw.

I was a little apprehensive about what we would hear from Dr. Gouw, but even more curious.  Dr. Gouw is amazing and I know he is doing his best for Trent.  He told us about a new drug that has only been on the market for three months and is FDA approved.  It is called Pazopanib.  It is not traditional chemotherapy that is cytotoxic, meaning it kills cells.  It is a targeted inhibitor, meaning it prevents an action in a chain of events, hopefully slowing or stopping the growth of the cell.  The good thing about it is that it only goes after cancer cells.  Trent's bone marrow, hair, and gastric system will be spared the horrible side effects of traditional chemotherapy.  They are seeing good results with this drug against sarcoma.  The delivery is four oral pills each day, indefinitely.  If it works, Trent could live on this drug the rest of his life.  The side effects are minimal, he may have an upset stomach and fatigue.  Of course there is the mile long list of possible side effects that every drug has, but those are not likely to happen.

Dr. Gouw also discussed putting Trent on a Phase I clinical trial drug called Lapatinib.  It is a new breast cancer drug that may improve the effectiveness of Pazopanib.  We are going to start the first drug and possibly add in the second drug down the road a little bit.  Our insurance company will only pay for Pazopanib if it is done through mail order so it will be about a week before he can start it.  We will check his labs one week after he starts the medication, see Dr. Gouw two weeks after, then scan again in two months.

Dr. Gouw also told us that there is a possibility of doing an ablation down the road if needed.  For example, if the tumors in Trent's lungs were to respond well and maybe just one or two remained, they could insert a needle into Trent's lung and cauterize the tumor(s).  We could also be put on any number of a handful of different clinical trials if need be.  It was good to hear that at least we still had a few options.  Dr. Gouw said he was sure we would go forth with our good attitude and we would all hope for the best.

When we left, Trent was trying to process everything he heard.  I asked him if he would be okay with never getting rid of cancer, just managing it for the rest of his life.  He was a little bugged by that thought.  It doesn't really give closure to anything and in his mind, he is still existing between to worlds, not dead but not healthy.
I am anxious to see how he responds to this drug and what the side effects do to him.  We are very hopeful Pazopanib will work and give Trent the quality of life that he needs.  

After I wrote the last post I got all the tears out and tried to put on my happy face.  I was feeling excited to hear what the doctors had come up with for Trent.  I kept having this thought that the chemo would be in pill form and that Trent would have little to no side effects.  In  my mind I saw myself dumping little blue pills into Trent's pill box.  So when we talked to Dr. Gouw, everything he said felt right.  Now I can't wait to see what color those pills are!

5 comments:

  1. I am stunned. Really stunned. AND I feel hopeful and excited at this new approach. I simply yield to the Lord. It's such a neat concept and goes in a direction that sounds so logical. I am thankful for a wife who has loved my son beyond anything I've ever seen. Your love is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such good news! I understand what you mean about the peaceful feeling. It is a surreal feeling when you are faced with unpleasant news, yet for some reason you have a calmness that you can't explain. When my husband was in ICU I remember feeling so calm and peaceful. Not what I ever expected. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a very somber couple of weeks for us and it's been easy to let frustration and discouragement dominate our emotions. Trav and I were very moved by the comment made on your last post about Gideon and his army and the nature of God's miracles. It made beautiful sense. And now to hear of this new approach, I reacted much the same as Joellynn. Truly, when one door closes, another window opens. We will be praying this is the window that "sticks".

    Holly, we are somewhat quiet here in the background, I think because this is such a personal struggle for us as well that we don't often know how to express our support. But we want you to know how much we love and believe in you and Trent. I sometimes wonder if it's hard for you to hear that you're an inspiration to so many people with your obedience and faith-- I think in your position, I'd much rather not ever have to endure such a trial even if it meant so much good could be learned from it by others. You are a beautiful example of humility and selflessness and I have such a reverent respect for you. Thank you for being that example to me and my family. We will be forever changed by the blessings we've come to recognize and embrace through your struggles.

    Keep believing and keep fighting. We will be here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly and Trent, we are sorry to hear the news, but still encouraged by some of the options out there that you mentioned.

    One of the comments on your last post inspired me to share a scripture that gave me hope when I was going through the dark days of chemo, 3 Nephi 21:10: "But behold, the life of my servant shall be in my hand; therefore they shall not hurt him, although he shall be marred because of them. Yet I will heal him..." I know that your physical, emotional, and mental health has been marred (to say the least) by these last 2.5 years. But know that all of us are praying for you and your family with all our faith and faith can make miraculous things happen.

    Scott and Heather Church

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet those pills will be blue... :)

    Prayers continuing, including new ones of gratitude for Trent's amazing medical team. They are being guided, no question.

    And you should have an honorary M.D. title by now, for all the knowledge and questioning and shaping of Trent's good care that you provide at every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete