Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recovery

Trent is just barely starting to come around after last week's surgery.  Friday night he was feeling pretty good.  That was probably because all of the anesthesia had not worn off yet.  Sleeping in the ICU is pretty much an oxymoron so he was really ready to come home Saturday.  They had not let him eat anything all day Friday so he was starving.  They finally told him he could eat so he ordered up a big omelet with hash browns and juice only to be told he was on a clear liquid diet.  He was so disappointed when they brought him broth, apple juice, jello and tea.  Surprisingly he still ate everything but the tea and asked for two glasses of orange juice!

Dr. Carr came in and said everything looked great and as soon as he took out the chest tube Trent could go home.  That tube slipped right out and Trent didn't even wince!  He was a lot more comfortable after that.

They told us we would be leaving by noon.  At 11:45 we were both dressed and ready to go with everything packed up.  The nurse took out Trent's IV and left the room.  Right then Trent felt something wet on his leg.  He looked down and was covered in blood.  He started screaming, "I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding!" trying to get the nurse to come back.  Never mind the fact that he was holding the nurse button in his hand. :)  I jumped up, pressed the button, and grabbed some towels to apply pressure.  I guess sometimes when an IV is removed your blood doesn't clot immediately.  It probably looked like a lot more blood than it was, but it was everywhere.  Trent had to change into scrubs and I washed out all of his clothes in the sink. 

After that his oxygen saturation started wigging out.  Normal is 90 and above, good is 93 and above.  Trent kept dipping down and hanging out at a lovely 85, which meant he got to go home on oxygen. 

We got home and set him up in the living room recliner.  I didn't want him laying flat because of all the blood he is throwing up.  I was afraid of him choking.  That first night was a little scary.  I slept upstairs on the couch to care for him.  Zach was a little worried about him too so he slept with us.  Jarom slept on the floor but I think he was just along for a good time.  Zach was a trooper.  Several times during the night Trent woke up coughing and choking.  Zach was always right there trying to help out in anyway. 

Sunday Trent's dad and brothers stopped by after having the "boys weekend" that was supposed to include Trent.  What timing. :s  They gave him a blessing of strength and determination to endure the treatments and whatever else lies ahead.  The visit was really good for him but wore him out completely.   He spent most of  Monday sleeping.

Monday Dr. Carr's nurse called and said he needed to come down for a Pulmonary Function test, a chest xray, and a VQ scan (to measure airflow and blood flow in the lungs).  I was a little nervous Trent wouldn't have the energy to do it.  But again, Trent bounced back right in time.  Tuesday morning we headed down for testing.  We were able to slip into an earlier spot for the VQ test which got us home around 2:00.  It was perfect.  Trent rested the entire afternoon and was looking pretty good by bedtime.  I finally consented to him sleeping in a bed and I think he did a little better last night. 

Everything is weighing down pretty heavy right now and my mind has been very preoccupied.  Last night I was driving home from the pharmacy and was flipping through the cd's in the car stereo.  Once again, the Lord blessed me through music.  When I finally stopped fiddling around, the song "Don't Give Up" came on.  I have no idea who sings it.  Maybe Josh Groban.  I felt like it spoke right to me.  I usually love to belt it out when that songs comes on but I found myself croaking along through my tears.  It is uncanny how these things work!  There is no way possible I could doubt the existence and nearness of a loving Heavenly Father who cares deeply for each of His children.  Thank goodness for that knowledge because today is going to be a big one.  We are waiting for word from Dr. Carr about the surgery and whether or not it is going to happen.  We both feel very hopeful but a little anxious too.  We have tried to discuss what our decision would be if we were denied the opportunity for surgery.  It is a little too big to wrap my head around.  We are praying like crazy it doesn't come to that.

6 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Prayers for you and your sweet family. Much love.. and can't help but feel anxious right with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is our family's song from Josh Groban 'Don't give up.' We love it, especially how it just speaks to us through the words.... it's a very powerful song. So glad that you have it. Whenever we are needing a recharge we crank that song up!
    =)Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin Michelley here...we are rooting for you guys, as always. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to comment once in a while, just to let you know I love your blog and it uplifts my spirit (and cleans out my tear ducts) every time I read it. Thank you and you and your sweet family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for the best of news for you! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete