Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Round 13

We are heading down for the second dose of round 13 today.  I have been so amazed at how well Trent has handled the last two rounds!  When we learned he would be undergoing two more rounds of chemo we were both disappointed because he had been feeling so well.  Some of my tears were for the fact that he would be so ill again.  The memories of the first 11 rounds came rushing back and I must admit that most of them are horrible memories.  We were not too excited to begin all of that again.  However, Heavenly Father must have taken that into consideration because He has truly blessed us these past four weeks.  Trent has had some really difficult times, been in bed some days, and had some horrible pain, but for the most part he has carried on life as normal-well, what was beginning to be normal. :)  He has been able to participate in everything that we already had planned to do and he wasn't even slowed down too much.  He has kept himself busy with some projects he had already started and has finished most of them.  The whole experience has been so much better than before.  I guess that is due in part to the fact that he was pretty healthy when he started chemo again and the amount of disease in his body is so much less.

Trent is starting to lose his hair again and he won't let me shave it.  It comes off on everything and is starting to look a little patchy.  He is adamant that he is going to just let it all fall out instead of shaving it because he hated being bald and looking so sick.  I can understand that but I still want to shave it.

During the last round of chemo I experienced something new that I pretty much love-giving shots!  I know, kinda gross but it was new to me and I kinda liked it!  After the second dose of chemo in each round Trent is given a Nulasta shot to boost production of his bone marrow.  It makes him very sore and makes all the bones in his body ache so it is not much fun.  Last round we had the shot delivered to our house by the pharmacy but no one from home health ever called to make an appointment to give it to him.   We were leaving for Las Vegas early the next morning and didn't have time to wait.  I was pretty excited to try giving the shot and had offered several times before but Trent didn't ever want me to do it.  What?! I can pack four feet of gauze in an open wound four times a day but I can't slip a little needle into his belly?  I don't know what that is about!  Finally Trent relented and I grabbed the needle and popped it in his stomach.  It slipped in like butta baby!   If you can't tell, I am excited to do it again tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. That's so funny, who would have guessed that you would have a love for needles? =)
    I can see you being a fabulous nurse... watch out everyone here comes Nurse Holly with needles!
    Ha Ha, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you can use the term "like butta" this time around ;) Even if it's to describe a needle being popped into a belly!!
    Hope things continue to go smooth as butta!! (Or, smooth as butta with only a few lumps here and there, instead of lumps everywhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nurse Holly to the rescue! You are amazing! Keep feeling great Trent.. :)

    ReplyDelete