Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Recurrence

About three weeks ago Trent started having a little pain in his chest.  We thought it might be due to the wires that are holding his sternum together.  The surgeon told us that sometimes a patient's body rejects the wires and you have to have them removed.  So last week we called and told them what was going on, that Trent was having some pain and there seemed to be a crescent moon shaped area at the top of his chest that looked a little swollen.  The nurse asked me to take pictures and send them down which I did.  We decided to make an appointment just to ease Trent's mind.   He drove himself down to the dr and had an x-ray.  Upon finding a spot on the xray they sent him for a CT which revealed a mass about 2 cm x 4 cm on his lung, right on top of his heart.  They suggested we visit our oncologist right away because the spot was "suspicious".  I immediately made an appointment for the following Wednesday (yesterday).  I asked Katie, the nurse at Huntsman, "If the radiologist says a spot is "suspicious" they pretty much know it is cancer, right?" I knew the answer but was holding out a little hope for the spot to be just fluid, like they told us before.

We decided not to tell anyone yet because we had our son's baptism last weekend and we wanted it to be about him, not cancer.  We cried a few tears that night, mostly out of frustration that we had to start over, just when Trent was feeling so well.  Although I had been feeling very calm about the whole thing, my mind still began wandering to places it shouldn't.  As I watched Trent interact with our children I would wonder, "Is he stamping this moment on his brain forever-should I be?", "Is this the last child Trent will baptize and confirm?", and so on.  That is not very smart, and I know that.  So, I changed gears.  We are fighters...and it doesn't matter how many times we get knocked around, we get back up.

So Tuesday night we fasted and it helped me so much.  Before we left for the hospital my dad gave Trent another blessing and again, confirmed the previous blessings that have promised that Trent will live to raise his children to maturity.  He blessed the doctors and the nurses through Trent, that their abilities would be heightened to find the right medication to save Trent's life.  He also said the things we would learn would be encouraging.  It was another amazing blessing that had me in tears but my heart was calm.  I never did get the butterflies that I usually get when we meet with Dr. Gouw.  In my heart of hearts, I knew it was cancer-not fluid, and I am fine with that.  Don't get me wrong, I still hate that cancer is in his body, but I know we can fight it.  We did it once before and we will do it as many times as we need to.

We both received the news with calmness and asked what was the next step.  He started chemo-gemcytobine and taxotere, immediately following our visit.  He is going to do two rounds and then have another scan on July 13.  In the meantime, Dr. Gouw is going to see if he can send the slides from the tumors that were resected from his lungs to an experimental lab in Arizona.  They will study the slides and look for any molecular weaknesses that can be targeted with chemotherapy agents that we have not tried yet.  Trent is on the last two agents that are known to work for sarcoma but if they can target a specific molecular breakdown they can hopefully kill the tumor.  Many times in tumors the cells tell each other to reproduce, if they can use an agent that interrupts that communication the tumor dies.  The experimental study is the next step if the current chemo does not work. 

In the infusion room Trent had about a 30 second breakdown and then he was back to his usual jovial self, joking with all the nurses and telling them about the T-shirt he wants to make.  I stepped out to get him something to eat and when I stepped off the elevator I immediately recognized two people I have never before met.  I walked right up and gave them hugs.  Mark and LaDena are in a similar battle and we find ourselves in very similar situations.  It was so great to finally meet them!  They came with me down to Infusion to meet Trent and it was like we were all old friends.  Josh and Keisa also came to see how Trent was doing and it was really nice to have some family support there.  It was wonderful to have them around and help take our minds away from the ugly reality we now face, yet again.
After Trent's infusion was finished we ended up going with Mark and LaDena to see "Pirates of the Caribbean" and had a blast!  It was exactly what we needed and they helped our day end well.  I don't for one minute believe that was a coincidence.  I am finding that not many things are.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this news. It breaks my heart. I hope that the treatments are short, and the recovery shorter. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no such thing as "coincidence". The reality is Father sending us help and comfort in our time of need.

    Breathe deep. . . long and slow. . . in . . . out. . . in . . . out. . . you fought and won a bigger battle, my brother. Now is the time to relax, focus, pray, and kick some more cancer arse.

    --Troy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, but I found your blog through NieNie's website. My faith has been strengthened by your remarkable strength and honesty through the past months. I was heartbroken to read the most recent post and to learn that you have more chemo ahead, but believe in all those blessings that have been promised. They will carry you through.

    Please know that my family and I are offering prayers for you here in Washington state. We send our peace and strength to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help thinking that this is a "hurry and get it out of the way" recurrence. Since, as you mentioned, recurrence was/is always a possibility, this will get it over and done with - COMPLETELY DONE WITH - and then the "what if" won't be looming in the back of your mind for the next 60 years. IT WILL BE DONE, OVER, GONE!!
    Good luck with these next rounds. You have a lot of love being sent your way, and MANY, MANY prayers still headed heavenward in your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear that you are yet again fighting this battle. Please know that Blaine & I are praying for you and you are never far from our thoughts. We admire your strength, courage and most of all your faith. Like Kristi said, "kick some more cancer arse!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya'll have been on my mind a lot lately as some friends of ours' sweet little two year old just picked up her own battle with cancer in the past 2 weeks. i keep thinking, "if trent can beat this, then so can clara!" hang in there and know that many are praying for ya & thinking of ya! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in our prayers and we love you. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang! Cancer is such a mean bugger! You've won this battle once, you will win again! Hang in there and stay strong! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts are with you continually. Rena

    ReplyDelete