Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Like to Ride My Bicycle

The last few weeks have flown by!  We have been very busy with birthdays and family and LIFE!  Trent has been doing so well!  He is still getting better and better everyday-with an occasional bad day here and there.  He has been having some pains that worry me but I am not sure if I am just being a nervous nelly or if we are just a little bit hypersensitive to anything that has to do with his body right now.  I really wish there was a "What You Can Expect Day by Day After Cancer" book.  I have read a bunch of pamphlets and books that we were given but because everyone is so different, the things I read are somewhat vague.  I would love to have a guideline that says "On day 62 Trent will have some pain in his chest but that is due to the burrito he had last night, not cancer."  THAT is the kind of book I would like to read!  It is hard to know what is normal and what is not, especially after 11 rounds of chemo and two surgeries.  I think that is a guessing game we will play for the rest of our lives.

Last night we got out all the bikes to get them ready for summer.  Trent jumped on his and started riding around.  It was so fun to watch him!  I ran for my camera so I could document the occasion.  I am sure he was thinking it was not that big of a deal, but to me it was huge!  I have sometimes felt bad for the loss he has suffered physically and wondered what his 'normal' will be.  When we first went to Huntsman we spoke with a social worker, John, who suggested that Trent take up cycling.  We kind of liked the idea but Trent could hardly lift his head off the pillow at that point so we didn't do anything about it then.  But watching him last night made me think that maybe this would be his "thing".  He never really did it before so there is nothing to compare himself to-which might be a good thing.  He must have liked it too because he got up today and went for another ride.  He rode a whole mile! 

He has just now left to go coach Zach's soccer team.  You can't imagine how nice it is to type something as normal as that!  He is just filling in but he is really happy to do so.  He has really loved being able to go to all the games every week and gets a real kick out of watching his kids play.  I am sure all parents feel the same way but to us it is like a bonus, something that almost got ripped away, and we are especially grateful to have another chance to enjoy it. 

5 comments:

  1. look at all that hair!!! wow!!!

    (ps. is that a widow's peak?? hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you ran for your camera. It is great to see Trent able to be out and enjoying life. after going through the storm, the "little things" in life are just that much sweeter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I can't think of another word to describe how amazing and wonderful it must be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Do I see competition for Lance Armstrong?? Enjoy the ride. Enjoy the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trent and Holly. I'm one of Trent's high school friends and I'm currently putting together "then" and "now" photos for our 20-year class reunion. Do you have one we can include? Please let me know at jbhill [at] gmail [dot] com.

    ReplyDelete