Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Monday, June 20, 2011

Relay for Life

Just two days after learning that Trent had another tumor in his lungs we participated in the Relay for Life.  We had already entered "Team Trent" and were so excited to help other people fight cancer.  It was kind of bittersweet to go and see all the many people who are affected by cancer and who are willing to fight for a cure.  It was very inspiring and we will definitely be participating in the future.

It started out with a "Survivor Lap" for anyone who has ever been told "You have cancer".  Trent was proudly sporting his purple survivor shirt.  I did just fine when he passed us the first time.  I was videoing and taking pictures as he passed.  But when he came around to the end of the first lap for some reason I lost it.  The gravity of what we have been through and survived hit me.  We were surrounded by friends and family who have given so much to support us this year and we really appreciate all that they have done.

The idea was to have someone on our team walk on the track for 24 hours.  We had some volunteers but I ended having to recruit people from our ward to help us out.  In the process I got to invite several ward members that I knew were cancer survivors to come join the Survivor Lap.  I was so glad to see them there and get to celebrate their victories with them.  I tried to take pictures of everyone who walked for out team but I missed some.  We are so grateful for each person who supported Team Trent!

That evening they had the Luminary ceremony.  We all walked a lap in silence in honor of the victims and survivors of cancer.  Then the kids slept in tents with Trent at the park.  There was music playing all night long to keep the walkers awake but that meant no sleep for everyone else.  Our family was pooped the next day!

By about 2:00 the next day the walking had to stop because there was a gas leak into the pond that we were walking around and they had to close the streets.  I didn't mind too much.  We didn't have that time filled and I was going to walk it myself, but took a nap with Trent in the tent instead.  :)
 Trent on his Survivor Lap!

 This is Becky.  She was the girl I visited while we were both at the Huntsman.  If you don't remember the whole story you can read it here.  We were both doing well (not crying) until we saw each other.  I ran up and gave her a hug and we both just bawled.  I was so happy to see her as a Survivor!
The Original Team Trent 
 Jarom was a great walker for us.  He probably walked a dozen or more laps.
 More TEAM TRENT!!!!
 Jeff & Belinda.  Belinda is a breast cancer survivor!  
 Paul & Linda.  Two of the most compassionate people I know!
 Desmond -another survivor!
 Rena -Lung cancer survivor!
 Tom & Brenda.  They walked for us for two hours!
 Adrianne & Jami & Cannon-friends from the ward.
 Nate & Suzy- our BFFs!
 I overheard a conversation the night before Relay about "Mark & LaDena" so I jumped right in and said, "I know them!"  We had only officially met two days before but how many "Mark & LaDena"s can there be?  We thought it was fitting to walk a lap for Mark.
 Matt-another one of Team Trent.
 I forgot to rotate this before I uploaded it.  This luminary was in honor of Nate's dad who died when he was about twelve.

 Adam and Mallory double teaming!
 Devri-lapping for Team Trent.
 "Dancing Machine" aka Ethan and Jarom.
A very tired Trent all cuddled in his sleeping bag. 
 Jonathan
 Megan and Whitney
 This guy was walking around playing all kinds of songs on his bagpipes.  He stopped outside our tent and played "If You Could Hie to Kolob" which just happens to be Trent's favorite hymn.  Pretty cool.



Another unrotated picture!  Josh and Jonathan.

Somehow I didn't get any pictures of Zach although he stuck by Trent's side the whole time-minus the many laps he did for Team Trent!

Our team raised $780 in just under two weeks.  Pretty good for our first Relay!  Way to go Team Trent!

3 comments:

  1. For sure we are BFF's! We love you guys more than you will ever know! Your example.. your friendship.. all mean so much to us.. Thanks for being such wonderful people in our lives. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so glad that the relay went well. We so desperately wanted to join with you guys, I even bought new walking shoes to use as we would Join Team Trent for that Friday. Eric's grandparents had so much setting up work for their 60th wedding anniversary that we were unable to get away. We were truly with you in heart and spirit though. I am so glad that you guys had a memorable time together... cherish each moment, each moment is truly the joys in our lives.
    Much much much LOVE to you guys!
    =)Tanya

    ReplyDelete