Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2 Weeks Post Surgery

In a lot of ways the last two weeks have flown by.  But in many more ways it has been way too long.  We are loving thinking that the cancer is out of Trent's body.  In the words of a very wise Sarcoma nurse whom we love very much, "Don't take away from today while worrying about tomorrow."  With that counsel we are celebrating today, this week, and whatever time we all have left. 

Recovery is being slower than I had hoped.  In my mind, the recovery was going to be super speedy because the chemo was over and good things would be able to grow in Trent's body.  But reality is that Trent has had 11 rounds of chemo and recovery is a little slow.  Nevermind the fact that his sternum was sawed in half!  But little by little, and I mean little, he is feeling better.  He is having a lot of pain and that makes him tired and want to lay down alot.  The dr. said he should be getting up and walking laps 3 to 5 times a day but so far all we have gotten are a couple sessions on the exercise bike and as much walking as it takes to get around the house a little.  We are hopeful that by his birthday in a couple of weeks he will be a new man.  Birthdays are going to be a bit more important around our house after this.  I can't wait to party like a rock star!  Or a least, a CANCER SURVIVOR!

4 comments:

  1. Awww.... I'd say give him another month. My experience has been that it took six weeks (nearly to the day) after both surgeries to feel like myself.

    Congratulations for so many things! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kinds of parties!

    Hang in there. Post chemo and everything else, it takes a while to feel normal again. It seemed like Scott took a full summer to feel well, and even longer to feel like himself and look like his old self again. And really, he had a few odd side effects for a long time, like numbness, etc. Everyone is different with what they deal with when they are done. Trent is strong, he just went through a war!

    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure how I found your blog, but I just wanted to tell you congratulations on winning your battle!! I just, one week ago, lost an uncle to lung cancer. It was so neat to read back...I read your entire blog...bawling, and being so HAPPY for you! Also, in reading I saw a picture of one of my cousins, Derrick Godfrey. What a small world! Anyway, Congratulations and good luck in the future. If you don't mind I will continue to read to help lift my spirits :)

    ReplyDelete