Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ugh

Another week down. Four more to go before the next scan. The past week has been one of the hardest yet. I feel like I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth. In the beginning people would always ask how I was doing. I was incredulous thinking, "Why in the world would you ask me? I am not the one with cancer!" But now I am starting to understand. I have always said that one of us has to be strong all the time and that is my job right now, I can have a mental breakdown later-when Trent is all better. But I can see how I am being worn down by all the emotions and stress that cancer has thrown our way. I recently read a quote that said, "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of someone who has been strong for too long." That pretty much sums it up for me this week. I have shed way too many tears and it accomplished nothing. I am attempting to pull myself up by my bootstraps and continue the fight but it is hard when you focus on uncertainty. I have to refocus and keep my thoughts and attitude positive.

That is a tough thing to do when you watch your husband writhe in pain. This week the taxotere has done a real number on Trent. Some of the side effects are muscle spasms, joint pain, and neuropathy. Unfortunately Trent has experienced all of them to the Nth degree. And to top that off, we were running really low on pain meds so we were trying to make them last until the script came in the mail. (Something I may need to discuss with the staff at the Huntsman...) Anyway, there were several times this week when Trent described his pain as a '10' on the pain scale. It was awful and there was not a darn thing I could do to make it stop. When it gets like that it scares me bad and I tend to retreat a little. Plus, a person in pain is not usually the most pleasant person to be around. So I didn't really feel the urge to sit around and stroke his head or anything. I am pretty sure that Trent has no idea what other people are going through because of this. And on the flip side-not many people know what he is going through. He tells people he is doing pretty good and tries to put on a happy face but I see it day to day and it is not pretty. It makes me mad that other peoples lives get to go on normal and we have to stare cancer in the face every single day. Oh how I wish I could see to the end of the tunnel and know what lies ahead. It would make this whole trial a lot easier to handle. But again, that is part of the test. Stepping off into the dark and having the faith to be led through.

So as a new week begins I am doubling up my efforts to be Christlike, patient, and long-suffering. I know there are many other people who have to deal with things much worse than I do. With the help of the Lord, this too shall pass.

7 comments:

  1. Holly and Trent, you are the most amazing fabulous people I know! Your faith, your love and your strength is AWESOME.. I think you are right.. in time, this too shall pass.
    Words can't express how much we love your family. Forever and ever.. we will do what we can to make your journey a bit easier...
    Love you
    Suzy and Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it Holly. Just say the word and we'll all come running to help in any way possible. I know it seems that nobody can bear the bulk of the burden but you and I know what you mean. But my favorite line in my favorite Hymn says "come cast your burdens on the Lord and trust His constant care."

    ReplyDelete
  3. :'( I am so sorry that you are all having to go through this. I wish I could take it away for you somehow! Just know we love you all and our thoughts and prayers are always with all of you! You are so strong, you amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, more than any other, are experiencing the reality of cancer. You, alone, care for the love of your life while he declines before your very eyes. You care for his wounds, you probably help him to bath and to dress and do all of the physical things that a person who is sick needs. When he is not literally in your arms for the mere help of standing, you are washing and bathing and cooking for 5 little children. You then have to cook and clean to help your mom who can't do it all. There are no supermans here. You are all mortal individuals who are dealing with a very mortal disease that is making your life ugly. You are very right that when we talk to Trent we get the moments of his happy side. We hear that he is doing pretty well even though he is pretty honest when it comes to his pain as he describes it as soooo awful. But we don't see it. We don't have to lift his 6'4" frame and do all that needs to be done for him. I wish we could lighten your burden. And many try in ways but there is no taking it away from you. I have to tell you something, Holly, that I hold dear to my heart. When I was about 25 and visiting my father I was trying to learn about him. I never knew him. I didn't know what he liked or didn't like or anything about him. His wife died of cancer shortly after the birth of their only son. I asked him if he loved her. His answer surprised me in many ways. For one, my father was not a Mormon and he certainly did not have gentle quiet ways about him. He drank and he was hard and I never saw anything tender in him. But his answer shocked me and has stayed with me forever. It isn't profound. He simply said, I loved her because I gave her service. Through caring for her in this time before her death he grew to love her so deeply that he realized how awful life was going to be without her. Through his devotion peace came to him and he realized a love that he hadn't previously. We never talked of this again. It was just that one time but it shown me so much. First, my father was capable of love and that jolted me, that he had loved a wife because he had served her made him very human. He never forgot her and I need to seal them together. I guess my point is, Holly, that through it all you will love Trent more at the end. You will cherish each other in a way you never could have done before as the presentation was not available to you. You will love him and laugh again with him when he has survived and conquered. If that is not Gods will, you will, in the words of Robert Browning who loved Elizabeth beyond such earthly bounds, but love him better after death. Love will not be conquered by this, love will be sustained and strengthend. Have charity. In your worst moments, have charity and it will see you through. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly,

    Hang in there! It was so good to talk to you on Sunday! We love you and your family!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Holly how much we love you and Trent and the kids. My heart aches for those who know with me what 'real' ache means. It hurts, the pain is very bitter, how can one go on when it hurts too bad? It's funny how people say to others 'You are so strong' because strength is not something that we have, it is something that we find. Yet being strong can be a lonely road, please Holly, please call me. Please let me cry, and laugh with you. Please remember how much I love you. I pray unceasingly for you and your family, and add you and your family to the temple roll every chance we get to go. Love you, Tanya

    ReplyDelete