Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Flu Schmu

This week has pretty much been a bust so far.  Trent started going downhill Friday afternoon.  Of course he tanked hard after the Neulasta shot on Saturday evening.  He wanted to delay getting the shot just a bit because his dad and two nephews were here to visit.  He thought he might make it to church but wasn't able to get out of bed.  Monday morning Jarom woke up feeling a little queasy as did myself and both my parents.  By 10:00 Jarom had puked in the hall at school and was back home with us.  Over the course of the next two days everyone except Zach had a bout with the stomach flu. 

Trent got a double whammy.  Chemo and the stomach flu are not friends and they really ganged up on Trent.  Last night I suggested to Trent that he needed IV fluids.  He was insistent that he did not.  However, as we were talking about it he was vomiting for the umpteenth time that day.  In his mind needing IV fluid meant that he was not able to heal by himself.  I think he saw it as a setback because he has done so well for so long.  I marched myself upstairs to call Katie, all the while hearing Trent begging me to not call her.  Too bad.  This one was my call.  Katie agreed that IV fluids would be a good thing for him so she called in the orders for the Home Health nurse to come over and access Trent's port.  After just one liter of fluid he looked so much better!  We hung one more liter last night to perk him up a little more.  However, by the time he went to bed he was in a significant amount of pain.  We got him all drugged up and I think he had a little better night than he has been having.  He was probably awake a bit with pain but at least he wasn't up to the bathroom a million times. 

I got up this morning and hung another liter of fluid for him.  Hopefully his IV breakfast will help him off to a good day!  Maybe by the weekend we will have our happy, fun-loving Trent back for a few days...maybe!

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?! Shouldn't the doctors have inserted a "skip" button somewhere?! In all of you?! Pretty sure you've already got enough to deal with and that you should get a free pass to the front of the "we do not get the flu" line...
    I'll start adding to my prayers that this is the ONLY time you have to deal with both simultaneously!
    Hope it's a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had to deal with the flu...but I am grateful you are such a superwoman. I'm glad you made the fluid call. you know your stuff!
    I hope you all get feeling better. You are in our prayers.

    love you,
    britt and tj

    ReplyDelete