Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Joys of Chemo

This week was worse than we expected.  Usually the first week of the cycle is not too bad, just a little blah.  But the day after chemo Trent felt like he was on fire---inside.  He didn't have a fever at all, just felt like he was burning up on the inside.  So, a couple of pain pills and an anxiety pill later, he was doing better.  Then the next day he woke up with mouth sores.  Usually that doesn't happen until at least day five or six.  So, Diflucan to the rescue and the mouth is getting better.  He has fought all week with a churning stomach.  No matter what he eats, his stomach just churns.  He doesn't throw up though so I guess that's good.  He has slept a ton this week.  I feel like I have hardly seen him.  He keeps making plans to help me get ready for Christmas but then sleeps through them.  Oh well, I can handle that. 

I overheard a funny thing the other day.  Mallory was singing the Rudolph song and she sang, "You know Dancer and Prancer and Cancer and Vixen..."  I listened to her do this a few times.  That is her world right now.  Not too many six year olds know very much about cancer.  Unfortunately she knows way  more than I ever wanted her to know.  But on the plus side, at least she rhymes well! :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. Doesn't sound like a good week at all. Maybe next will be better. Yeah, I'm sure. I hate this. I'm not even in the middle of it but I hate it. I guess I am emotionally even if not physically. You have done so much. This Christmas is so totally different than last year. I remember Nebraska and the wonderful weekend I had. Who would have ever known what a year can bring. There is great promise in the shrinking tumors though. And next year Trent can be dancing. I'd like to dance with my son. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth sores are the worst. We put your name on the role at Winter Quarters today and think about you frequently. We wish you the best as you get through this next round, Trent! -The Churchs

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a bright side.. she looked really great as "Santa Cheerleader"
    It was good to visit for a bit on Saturday.. :) You looked great Trent! :)
    We will see you guys again soon..
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your spirits high. You don't know me, but I follow your blog. My mother had cancer 11 years ago when her kids where young too. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete