Feed your FAITH and your fears will starve .

Friday, May 10, 2013

My Happy Place

Life is happening at a whirlwind pace right now.  Saturdays are crazy with three kids in soccer and me coaching one of the teams.  School is winding down which means field trips all the time and the kids all want me to go with them.  I have added responsibilities at church and it seems like every other day I get asked to do something else like, play in a symphonic band, be the regional coaches administrator, etc.  Life is crazy!  Because of that is has been very helpful for me to escape our reality every once in a while.  Since February I have been to St. George three times and have loved it every time! Last month I took the kids and went down with Sandra (wife of Paul who recently passed away from cancer)and her children. We stayed in her father's guest house and had an absolute blast!  We hiked, went on picnics, ate out, went fishing, saw the historical sites, visited the temple grounds, watched movies, went to the dinosaur museum, and swam.  It was a much needed break for all of us.
Grafton, Utah (Ghost Town)
Jarom, Zach, Mally, Me, Jonny, Sandra, Sophie, Hailey,and Bree

Zach, Jarom, Megan, Jonny, and Mally

Megan had the camera at the little cemetery in Grafton.  It is interesting to me what she photographs.
 St. George Temple
St. George Temple

Jarom, Zach, Mally, Me, Megan, and Jonny at the temple

Visitors Center. We watched a really amazing  movie about the Plan of Happiness.  Yes, I bawled like a baby through the entire thing.
 Dixie Rock





Zach at the Johnson Farm Dinosaur Park
 Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum
 Jacob Hamblin Home

 As we were driving down the street Megan gasped and shrieked, scaring me half to death.  She had just spotted this statue that sent her heart all aflutter.  She has loved the movie "Spirit" since she was about three. She made me promise we would come back and take pictures before we left.





Not sure why Jonny was so interested in this end...

It was warm down there but certainly not hot enough to go shirtless! Silly boys!

Us and Grandpa Mayfield.  He is so sweet! We really bonded with him and were so grateful for his generosity!
I got to go back to St. George a couple of weeks ago with Marc and Aly who have also recently lost their spouses to cancer.  We had the best time!  We talked a ton and laughed even more.  The first day my abs were sore from laughing so hard.  It felt so good!  We ate at Anasazi, the most amazing steakhouse.  They cook your steak on a lava rock!  We also had the chance to go to the temple and do a session.  I was nervous because Marc had not been there since his wife died.  I know how hard it was for me the first time and I was really worried about what his reaction would be.  He was amazing.  After the temple session he shared with us what he had learned.  I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here too.  I have been so impressed and have thought about it often.  He realized that God does not want us to be alone.  As hard as it is for us, Heavenly Father (and I believe our spouses) want us to marry again and find happiness for the rest of our lives.  Part of the reason for that is for protection.  When Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden Satan tempted them.  He first secluded Adam and tried to sway him.  When that failed he went to Eve, alone.  By tempting them separately he was able to get both of them.  I thought that was really interesting.  I have always known that Heavenly Father wants us to be united as families for happiness and strength and progression but I never thought of it as being needed for protection as well.

After we went to the temple we did some hiking at Snow Canyon and then Dixie Rock.  We ended up on a big rock overlooking the temple just as the sun went down and the lights came on in the city.  We all sat and talked about our spouses, the things we miss, the things we love about them, favorite memories, etc.  It was so peaceful and healing.  The best part is...we were able to do it all with smiles on our faces.  That may seem small to some...but it was huge for us.  

I love that I am finding joy in each day, that Heavenly Father is healing and softening my heart and helping me to carry on.  I am grateful that there is a smile on my face much more often than there are tears on my cheeks.  Nine months ago I thought my only happy place was right by Trent's side.  While that is truly the happiest place for me...there are other happy places that I can enjoy here on earth.  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts. Your experiences are good for everyone and I am grateful that you share them. We all need to find happy places here on earth. We are meant to be happy. Enjoy your mothers day. Trent will be honoring you for giving your children the gift of life. I am so glad I was able to give that to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you often Holly and I love your amazing words of wisdom and what you share here. You are such an amazing example and I was touched by the idea that our families are also a protection - it's so true - it just made so much sense the way that you said it. If I was the only person that was meant for, then it was worth it to share it - but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who need it. Thanks again amazing woman!!!

    ReplyDelete